sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2021 12:57 pm  #1

Christmas music after Christmas

There always seems to be a race to see what station goes into Christmas mode first. Many stations revert back to regular music on December 26 with a few playing an occasional Christmas song for a day or two. Since this programming must be popular (or they would not do it) I wondered if any stations would buck the trend and continue the 100% Christmas tunes past Christmas Day. 

WBTI FM 96.9 licensed to Lexington Michigan and programmed from Port Huron Michigan is doing just that. I expect the tunes will end New Years Day. I can't say whether they have done this in previous years. They bill themselves as "Port Huron's Christmas station" as well as "Sarnia's Christmas station". Through the day there appear to be live announcers on the station. Although their playlist is somewhat repetitive, it still contains a much wider scope of songs than many other stations play. Website is below and is not geo-blocked.

https://www.wbti.com/

The station is owned by Radiofirst who operates several stations in the area. I'll also give them credit for programming a rock, folk and country mix on their 1590 AM 1KW / 92.7 FM translator 50 watt station in Marine City MI.

I know many of you will groan about more Christmas music; given the Port Huron area has good reception of most Detroit signals, I tip my toque to them for trying something a little different and wish them success.

Are any other stations in the Southern Ontario/WNY doing this?

Happy New Year

Last edited by darcyh (December 31, 2021 12:58 pm)