sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2021 9:32 pm  #1

Les Emmerson passes

The King of Rock and Roll in the Capital passed away.  A member of the Staccators and the Five Man Electrical Band,
who penned a lot of great tunes

https://flipboard.com/topic/ottawavalley/ottawa-rock-and-roll-royalty-songwriter-of-signs-les-emmerson-dead-at-77/a-ymkHBJkOSUy17s8hTN_Hqw%3Aa%3A2823982346-87380554eb%2Fctvnews.ca

December 12, 2021 9:51 pm  #2

Re: Les Emmerson passes

Another sad bit of news right after Michael Nesmith's passing. Yes, "Signs" was a huge hit, but I liked "Absolutely Right" much better. And my favourite song of his was as a solo act, "Cry Your Eyes Out."

One weird memory of him from a radio perspective came in the days when CFTR was a rock station. They used to run a liner once an hour that had (supposedly) a listener's voice saying, "I like it because CFTR plays less commercials." This went on for a while, before one of their DJs decided to lampoon the thing, by playing "Cry Your Eyes Out," and over the intro, said, "I like it because CFTR plays Les Emmerson!"

December 18, 2021 4:34 pm  #3

Brad Wheeler's tribute/obit appears (full page 012) in today's print edition Globe 'n Mail.    It includes a great photo in which Les is holding recordings each the (probable) size of a 45 but with a small center hole.    Can someone explain what are these?

Last edited by geo (December 18, 2021 4:41 pm)

December 18, 2021 5:55 pm  #4

I know in Europe, a lot of their 45 singles had the small LP hole rather than our traditional big donut hole that we find on our singles in Canada.

December 18, 2021 6:52 pm  #5

In memory of Les Emmerson:

December 18, 2021 7:12 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

In memory of Les Emmerson:

👍👍

December 28, 2021 9:35 am  #7

A sweet little story about how Les Emmerson and his family affected the lives of one CBC associate producer and her family. 

"I feel sad when I think back to what happened to my mom when she was just 16, but I also feel grateful for the Emmersons.

"I think of Olive's love like the American radio waves reaching my mom in the dead of night. Even when she was the most alone, she was never alone."

How Les Emmerson and the Five Man Electrical Band changed my mother's life