sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2021 3:44 pm  #1

One Of The Strangest Radio Glitches I've Ever Heard

There have been a lot of bizarre moments or mistakes on air at nearly every radio station at one time or another, but you'll have to go some distance to beat the one that happened on Christmas Day. I was tuning around the AM dial Saturday afternoon just to see what each station was doing on the dullest programming day of the year, and I came across WWKB 1520, now known as "The Bet." (It's airing a format dedicated to sports gambling.)

They had regular programming on as usual, except when I tuned it in, something very strange was on the air. The voice of whoever was hosting (I assume it was on tape being Xmas) was stuck in a bizarre loop. And all I heard was someone saying this:

"Touchdown. And then they went..."

It went on and on and on like that with the exact same words being repeated over and over and over - and that's just from the time I turned it on. There's no knowing how long it had been happening before that. Well, needless to say, only people in radio would keep listening to that, just to see what happens next. So I was glued to the thing. 

After about four minutes of the same words being rebroadcast, they went to a series of spots, which played normally. They lasted about three minutes. And when they came back after a station I.D., it started all over again, this time with some new words. 

"Well, you can't think they..."

This went on for another 10 minutes or so, with the same thing being repeated endlessly. I have to admit, I couldn't turn it off. How long could this go on? 

Finally, after another spot break whatever it was rectified itself and they returned to regular programming. I'm assuming this had something to do with the automation software. But for the more technically informed out there, I'm curious - how could something like that happen? What would have caused an effect that was unlike anything I've ever heard before on any radio station?

Because for a while there, all "Bets" were off.

December 26, 2021 3:51 pm  #2

Re: One Of The Strangest Radio Glitches I've Ever Heard

I remember hearing two songs playing at once on CKOC years ago. It went on for a long time.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 26, 2021 5:05 pm  #3

Could have been a loop of what was left in the receiving equipment's audio buffer, if they were using a sat receiver or an IP feed and lost the connection. I believe somebody had mentioned here some time ago that they had heard a similar glitch on a CBC Radio One station somewhere in southern Ontario.

December 26, 2021 7:31 pm  #4

Sounds like a Buffering crash. 
As long as the ads air, who cares?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.