sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2021 12:56 pm  #1

People That Are Better in Another Media

Listening to Leslie Roberts filling in on Newstalk 1010 over the last few days sort of strikes me that he is better on radio than television.

He is more natural, and great at interviewing guests, with a relaxed style  When he was the anchor at Global  Toronto, I always found him sort of stiff and not at ease on air. Even when conducting interviews.  On radio, he is just the opposite.  I know that he has a radio background prior to his time on television but many know him more from TV.  To me at least, he is really at home on radio. 

What other personalities from television do you think are actually better on radio and why?  Maybe someone that has a great sense of humour that never comes across on television but does on radio, or their true personality comes through stronger.  Or is it the opposite, a radio personality that appears from time to time on TV who is well, or even better suited for television. 

As Linda Richman (aka Mike Myers) would say....Discuss..

December 23, 2021 2:18 pm  #2

Re: People That Are Better in Another Media

I would have to say Jennifer Valentyne was much better suited for TV as opposed to her short stint on the radio waves.  Although she did hold her own I felt she had more of a presence on the screen.

December 23, 2021 2:36 pm  #3

I knew the late sportswriter Earl McRae quite well. He was a great writer, and he did a show on CJCL during that station's brief talk days, followed by a sportscast on CBLT-TV. While there was no question about his talent with the written word, he was much better on radio than on the tube. 

I'm pretty sure it's because TV news is script-based and you have to follow it, so the control room knows when to run the highlights, clips, etc. On radio, he could ad lib like mad and was hilarious. He would literally create characters and voices on the spot and was generally extremely creative, if not a little manic.

I always thought the show he hosted, called "Open Line Sports," could have become a cult hit if they hadn't changed the format and given it time to catch on. We'll never know, but what a talent.

December 23, 2021 11:13 pm  #4

Charlie wrote:

Leslie Roberts on radio is like Jeff McArthur on 640.  Pablum, only slightly less watered down.

Leslie Roberts may be a bit light weight for some people, but at least he doesn't talk into the mic like he loves the sound of his own voice. The same cannot be said for Mr. McArthur.

Last edited by betaylored (December 23, 2021 11:53 pm)

December 24, 2021 12:25 am  #5

I certainly hope he's learned his lesson after what happened six years ago. 

Leslie Roberts resigns from Global News in wake of internal investigation

December 24, 2021 10:25 am  #6

betaylored wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Leslie Roberts on radio is like Jeff McArthur on 640.  Pablum, only slightly less watered down.

Leslie Roberts may be a bit light weight for some people, but at least he doesn't talk into the mic like he loves the sound of his own voice. The same cannot be said for Mr. McArthur.

I've listened to more Newstalk 1010 9am-noon this week than I have through the entire 2021.

I quite appreciate listening to a show with lots of varied interviews/info & a congenial host who doesn't constantly spit his  belligerent "wisdom" at you.

McArthur? ... sorry but is there a dimmer, more pompous, less sharp tool in the shed?

That said .. no-one, absolutely no-one, is in the same league as John Moore.

December 24, 2021 11:02 am  #7

Another person I think that is really good on radio and has been shining of late is Ian Hanomansing on Cross Country Check Up.  Very respectful of callers, funny at times and even though he is also excellent on TV, he seems more relaxed on radio.  CBC News Network does show the first hour of Cross Country Check Up, but he stays with his radio style all though the program. 

I preferred Mike Bullard's radio show on Newstalk 1010 over anything he had on TV.  Once you get over his gruff style, Mike seemed funnier on radio and was pretty good with callers.  I really heard him put Jerry Agar in his place once curing a "cross over". He basically told Jerry to shut up and stop interrupting so much.  Well said and overdue.