sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2016 7:04 pm  #1

CNE 2016

What radio stations will be at the CNE this year? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 18, 2016 9:13 pm  #2

Re: CNE 2016

CHUM at the Princes' Gates.  CKEY at the Dufferin Gates. ... ,,, ...

No...wait.

Last edited by Old Codger (August 18, 2016 9:13 pm)

August 19, 2016 12:34 am  #3

Old Codger wrote:

No...wait.

Well at least you didn't say CFGM. 
CHUM FM at the Princess gates is still possible, but gee, you would have meant CHUM 104...lol

August 19, 2016 7:43 am  #4

I hear Mike Cooper is coming out of retirement to try and set the world record for riding a motorized scooter during this years CNE.

August 19, 2016 9:44 am  #5

Is the CNE still relevant in 2016? Is it still draw?  Personally, I think it has had its day... and that day ended back in the late 80s or early 90s.  

No concerts at the Grandstand....  that was a draw...   but Wonderland and Kingswood kinda killed those events.  Then CPI got hold of the Forum, and redeveloped it into the Amphitheatre (that kinda killed Kingswood)...  The Jays moving to Skydome was also another factor, although they were only a fixture at Exhibition stadium for 12 or 13 seasons....

Don't know what it was or is like for radio folk who mount remote production from the EX, but on the TV side of things, the union boys really dig in to the point where it becomes to difficult and cost prohibitive to mount...  They insist on running/laying cable, but mysteriously disappear for the strike/wrap out....  but you still pay for the full call....  nice....

And I say remote production / multi-cam as it is considered different than single camera news...  they left us alone for that....  one camera, one light, one mic.... 

August 19, 2016 9:47 am  #6

CFTR in the Craven A caravan just outside the automotive building.

Old Codger wrote:

No...wait.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 19, 2016 9:49 am  #7

Agree 100%.  It's a cash grab where people pay money to spend money.   I think you're being generous extending it into the 90's.  When it stopped being a showplace and started being a midway surrounded by sales pavilions that's pretty much where it all ended.

Glen Warren wrote:

Is the CNE still relevant in 2016? Is it still draw?  Personally, I think it has had its day... and that day ended back in the late 80s or early 90s.  

August 19, 2016 10:43 am  #8

Yesterday I heard Mike Bullard say he'd be broadcasting his noon to one PM show today from the CNE.  Not exactly sure where he'll be...but he'll be there.

August 19, 2016 10:54 am  #9

I just happen to know .

Enercare Centre..

outside on curb area towards west end of Enercare Centre – Hall A Area

Doug Thompson wrote:

Yesterday I heard Mike Bullard say he'd be broadcasting his noon to one PM show today from the CNE.  Not exactly sure where he'll be...but he'll be there.

August 19, 2016 4:24 pm  #10

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

I hear Mike Cooper is coming out of retirement to try and set the world record for riding a motorized scooter during this years CNE.

I'm amazed that this particular page is still online, but if you scroll down in the classic audio list, there's a wonderful time compressed aircheck of Coop's famous Ferris feat - along with a lot of other blasts from the past. 

1050 CHUM On Demand

August 19, 2016 10:59 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

I'm amazed that this particular page is still online, but if you scroll down in the classic audio list, there's a wonderful time compressed aircheck of Coop's famous Ferris feat - along with a lot of other blasts from the past. 

1050 CHUM On Demand

Lots more here:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/chumbug.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 19, 2016 11:56 pm  #12

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Don't know how many here saw Coop while he was riding the big wheel but I did...

I'd come in from out of town and we knew he was there and what he was doing and wanted to take a look so we hung around the ferris wheel for a brief while.

I've posted this before but since the topic is back up I can recall ever-so briefly making eye contact with him as he was heading skyward for the umpteenth time...he looked absolutely bored out of his mind...

Just a scant 4 years later we'd be working together...

Another memory that I have of the Ex is in 1973...Me and a buddy had tickets to see Three Dog Night and a couple of other acts (April Wine and T Rex...I just looked it up!) at the grandstand.

We decided against going to the show...sold the tickets and just bummed around. Of course at that time the Hockey Hall  of Fame was on the CNE grounds...It's about 7.30 p.m. or so and we see two gentlemen walking ahead of us...in the vicinity of the HOF...  

One guy I recognized as Dave Reynolds...an intermission host normally seen out of Montreal on Hockey Night in Canada.  The other guy...was Paul Henderson...this just months after the famous 1972 series with the Soviets.

This then 17 year old lad was impressed and never forgot that glimpse of Mr. H.

Like Old Codger is today...Paul Henderson was considered a GOD back than...

Last edited by unclefester (August 20, 2016 8:32 am)

August 20, 2016 7:34 am  #13

Got an autographed stick from Paul circa the 76-77 season..  A childhood friend, Jeff Jacques from Preston, played for the Toronto Toros/Birmingham Bulls and introduced me to Paul...and  the next thing you know...I had the treasured stick.  Still have it.  Nice fella that Paul Henderson.  [Jeff too]

Paul scored the winning goal in 3 of those games...not just the last one.

August 20, 2016 12:27 pm  #14

Glen Warren wrote:

Is the CNE still relevant in 2016? Is it still draw? 

I happen to love the CNE very much.
This year, there's Free admission to the CNE when you pay for Argo tickets.
(must be a game during CNE)
I don't bother with rides though.

A very reliable source has informed me that President's choice pulled out at very much the last second.
Maybe they see what you see Glen?

Thank-you American Express for filling as much of the void as you can. (they grabbed the credit card booth spaces on the grounds where PC financial would have been)

That being said, while someone big pulls out, someone else is still offering to be there.
That has to be a good thing.

Anyway, as I was saying, I LOVE the CNE very much and I hope it continues on forever...

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 21, 2016 11:41 pm)

August 21, 2016 3:42 pm  #15

Haven't been to the Ex in about 20 years...but I did enjoy the endless loop of "Earl (Segal) Warren" promoting "snowcones" at a booth outside of the (Pure) Food Building.  In those days, Earl Warren was a staff announcer at CFRB.  I always thought that there must be an interesting story of how a top-rated radio announcer had recorded the snowcone promo...it ran continuously for years, at the Ex.