sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 12, 2021 8:29 pm  #1

Ti-Cats Play-By-Play Vet Inducted Into Cdn. Football Hall Of Fame

Bob Hooper was a veteran of CHML and worked there for 40 years. But he never lived to see this honour. It comes as the team he called in so many games gets its shot at a championship.

Former Ticats Radio Announcer Inducted Into Canadian Football Hall Of Fame

December 12, 2021 8:58 pm  #2

Re: Ti-Cats Play-By-Play Vet Inducted Into Cdn. Football Hall Of Fame

A well deserved honour 

December 12, 2021 10:04 pm  #3

Indeed. I didn't know much about Hooper, having grown up in Toronto where CHML reception isn't great. (It's aimed away from here for some reason and despite the fact you can get it clearly in New York City, it's tough to listen to in T.O.) 

But in one of those classic radio moments where I was - as they say - between jobs in the 80s and they were hard to come by, I phoned every station I could think of in Southern Ontario asking if they had any openings. Needless to say, most news directors were busy and couldn't be bothered. But Hooper was one of the few who took the time out of a very busy day to talk to me and invited me down to the station to see him. I knew he had no positions open, but just the fact he was willing to meet me was very impressive and I've never forgotten his kindness. 

The only other guy that did that during that fallow period for me was Bob Lusk at CKLW, another really nice guy. 

Never did wind up working for either of them, but I still have high regard for them both and all because they didn't instantly reject a young broadcaster looking for his next gig. 

December 13, 2021 12:57 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Bob Hooper was a veteran of CHML and worked there for 40 years. But he never lived to see this honour. It comes as the team he called in so many games gets its shot at a championship.

Former Ticats Radio Announcer Inducted Into Canadian Football Hall Of Fame

Article above says, "Hooper spent his entire 40-year broadcasting career at CHML, from 1961 to 2001."
I worked with Bob at C-HOW in Welland before he went to 'ML, as mentioned here:
https://www.toronto.com/news-story/9050071-obituary-chml-anchor-ticats-play-by-play-man-bob-hooper-was-a-helluva-guy-/
Good guy. He could have worked anywhere.