sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 7, 2021 1:19 pm  #1

Today's zoom meeting - you're fired.

So apparently Bell Media wasn't completely heartless - just ahead of the curve - when they conducted their last round of cuts via conference calls.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/business/better-ceo-fires-employees/index.html

December 7, 2021 2:23 pm  #2

Re: Today's zoom meeting - you're fired.

Vishal Garg looks like he would be a good fit for the Rogers Exec suite...

December 7, 2021 2:31 pm  #3

Didn't Rogers - or Bell - use robo-calls the last time? That might even be worse, but neither method is exactly desirable.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 7, 2021 2:37 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 7, 2021 3:09 pm  #4

In all honesty, if I were part of a group of 900 getting laid off, I'd rather it be this way. Saves all the dragging it out -- seeing people in and out of HR and reports from other locations, and friends' social posts, wondering if I'm next. Rip the band-aid, please.

December 8, 2021 10:16 am  #5

Dale Patterson wrote:

Didn't Rogers - or Bell - use robo-calls the last time? That might even be worse, but neither method is exactly desirable.

It was Bell.   It's how they did the TSN Radio and many other layoffs during 2020.    Not the right way at all.. but nothing surprises me anymore.

Can't be more impersonal and uncaring.   As for doing it on mass at the same time, there is ways to do it at the same time in person.    

Last edited by radiokid (December 8, 2021 10:18 am)

December 8, 2021 10:57 am  #6

Regardless, there aren't many upsides to getting canned.  With a large number of employees in various locations that are getting fired at the same time, maybe a zoom call in a way is less painful. However it certainly gives the feeling of the company being impersonal.  Really depends how the situation is explained and the reasons given.  Also depends on what your severance package is that you are leaving with. 

I was in a mass layoff where everyone was just waiting to see who would be called into the office next, one at a time.  That one is like waiting for your own execution, and it was drawn out over the morning.  Being in the bosses office and hearing the lame "as a company, we failed too" speech is also pretty impersonal.  I guess if you had a good relationship with the person letting you go it could be less stressful, but in many cases it is somebody from HR that you likely don't know that is doing the deed.  

December 8, 2021 4:52 pm  #7

Sometimes Karma comes back to bite you in a sensitive part of your anatomy.

3 Better.com executives resign after CEO lays off 900 over Zoom

I wonder if Garg will, in fact, find an opening at Bell or Rogers as suggested earlier. Sounds like he'd be the perfect fit.

December 9, 2021 12:09 am  #8

And even if you survive the layoffs, it's an uncomfortable, unhappy couple of days/weeks coming into the radio station, office etc. with everyone trying to get used to the changes, not seeing longtime familiar friends and coworkers, maybe adjusting to a new boss, more work and stress, wondering who's next, like lobsters in the seafood tank at a grocery store.
😐😑🙄

December 10, 2021 1:15 pm  #9

My son reports he was listening to CFRB 1010 earlier this week (Monday or Tuesday Dec 6 or 7) and about 2:15 pm this subject was brought up. They were discussing how doing this was in bad taste and someone called in and got on the air as far as: "I used to work for Bell Media", the caller was silenced, they probably went to commercial and returned to a different topic. Karma?