sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2021 2:35 pm  #1

More Signs That OTA Broadcast Networks Are Dying

The first signs came when the Emmy Awards in recent years contained nominees from cable and streaming - and almost no over-the-air U.S. networks. Now comes this equally gloomy but not really surprising finding:

Top Syndicated Shows Now Outdrawing Primetime

The same sad trend is reflected in this year's Critics' Choice Awards nominees. Not a single network show made it into the Best Comedy or Drama category and only a few (mostly This Is Us, which starts its final season in 2022) have nominations for acting. 

Not only that, but I was frankly stunned to see that a heavily hyped network special I was sure would do well in the ratings wound up coming in third overall for the night. 

Alec Baldwin’s Big Non Mea Culpa With George Stephanopolous Finishes 3rd in Ratings for Time Period

Like many here, I grew up on the big U.S. networks and I'm a bit of a dinosaur because I still like them. But it's becoming increasingly apparent that if this keeps up, OTA may soon be DOA. And that just makes me sad. 

December 6, 2021 2:56 pm  #2

Re: More Signs That OTA Broadcast Networks Are Dying

Even the live Annie on NBC (which nobody in Canada picked up) drew an unimpressive
5.3 million viewers age 2+.

The only big winner from last Thursday stateside was NFL Football on FOX with 16.9 million viewers.  NFL football regular season has only cracked Canada's top 30 a few times so far.  This is surprising given all of the simsub for NFL and the big promo that CTV/CTV2/TSN and other Bell networks give the NFL broadcasts.. 

December 6, 2021 3:01 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

Even the live Annie on NBC (which nobody in Canada picked up) drew an unimpressive

It was Sim Subbed in Canada.  https://www.citytv.com/show/annie-live/ 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 6, 2021 3:05 pm  #4

Oops, forgot about City.

December 6, 2021 3:08 pm  #5

As someone who doesn't watch any prime-time network TV, I have to say the promos I see for the shows all look like the same show.

December 6, 2021 3:47 pm  #6

My wife watches New Amsterdam.  To the point of this thread, she started watching the first three seasons on Netflix and now watches the new episodes (PVRed) on broadcast TV.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 6, 2021 4:50 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

The only big winner from last Thursday stateside was NFL Football on FOX with 16.9 million viewers.  NFL football regular season has only cracked Canada's top 30 a few times so far.  This is surprising given all of the simsub for NFL and the big promo that CTV/CTV2/TSN and other Bell networks give the NFL broadcasts.. 

The quality of he on-field product has unusually poor this year, with division favorites losing to cellar dwellers on a somewhat regular basis.  That might be a small factor in the ratings decline for the NFL.

December 6, 2021 6:15 pm  #8

I've found it a bit unusual this NFL season so far, that my wife, who is far more of a sports fan and TV watcher in general than I am, has watched a lot less football than in previous seasons.  Last night was possibly the first or second "no fun league" game I've seen her watch... tail end of Ravens & Steelers on CBS.  Cable here brings us the U.S. networks from Detroit, with no simsubs at all, as the local subscriber count is below the threshold. She might watch more games when playoffs begin, like she often does with baseball and the NHL.

We're more into the junior "A" Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL) in eastern Ontario, given we both volunteer with the local team, and that Cogeco carries a few CCHL teams' games, in glorious 720p, on their "YourTV" channels, even going so far as to show some games in the home *and* away teams' towns, thanks to the newer master control hub in Burlington.  Rogers Hometown Hockey was, as you may know, in Pembroke this past weekend, and YourTV had Ron MacLean co-hosting with long-time Pembroke broadcaster Jamie Bramburger for last night's Lumber Kings home game versus Brockville.

December 7, 2021 3:34 pm  #9

This should be concerning for the OTA networks, at least in the US.  Here is the top 20 shows Nov 22 to 28th/21.  Granted this is the American Thanksgiving, but like every week this fall, and even with not always stellar games, NFL Football totally dominates.  Other than a few scripted shows, reality and news/opinion, it is all football on OTA network television.  This can't be a healthy situation for the traditional networks stateside.
https://tvnewscheck.com/programming/article/thanksgiving-football-big-10-rivalry-game-score-in-ratings/

In Canada same week, the only sports showing up in the top 30-- CFL Playoff Football at #12 on TSN, NFL Early #20 on CTV, and NHL Hockey #30 on Sportsnet.  Here the rest of the top 30 was scripted programs, some reality and heavy on news from CTV and Global.  Also 14 of the 30 shows were cancon which is higher than normal.  And W5 on CTV was the #7 program the week of Nov 22-28 in English Canada.  If anyone can post the latest Numeris pdf for the top 30, please do..I can't seem to do this..

December 7, 2021 4:01 pm  #10

Our good friend and talented guy Bill Brioux to the rescue.  Here is Bill's take on the latest Numeris TV ratings.  Also we see that Canada's three highest rated shows were from Quebec...
https://brioux.tv/blog/2021/12/07/chanteurs-masques-on-tva-canadas-most-watched-for-a-2nd-week/

December 7, 2021 10:56 pm  #11

I’d be curious how local news does in the ratings these days versus network programming. I wouldn’t be surprised if CP24’s various programs have the highest ratings in Toronto in some time slots.

December 7, 2021 11:19 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

The first signs came when the Emmy Awards in recent years contained nominees from cable and streaming - and almost no over-the-air U.S. networks. Now comes this equally gloomy but not really surprising finding:

Top Syndicated Shows Now Outdrawing Primetime

The same sad trend is reflected in this year's Critics' Choice Awards nominees. Not a single network show made it into the Best Comedy or Drama category and only a few (mostly This Is Us, which starts its final season in 2022) have nominations for acting. 

Not only that, but I was frankly stunned to see that a heavily hyped network special I was sure would do well in the ratings wound up coming in third overall for the night. 

Alec Baldwin’s Big Non Mea Culpa With George Stephanopolous Finishes 3rd in Ratings for Time Period

Like many here, I grew up on the big U.S. networks and I'm a bit of a dinosaur because I still like them. But it's becoming increasingly apparent that if this keeps up, OTA may soon be DOA. And that just makes me sad. 

The top non-sports show on US television these days is Jeopardy, per this article. Jeopardy has perhaps benefitted in the past few weeks from a string of super-champions who stick around for 10 or more consecutive games. Matt Amodio was there for over 30 games.

The passing of Alex Trebek a year ago likely had also generated extra attention for the show.

I wonder how Jeopardy does in the ratings in Canada; its broadcast here is very fragmented and relies on US stations on cable in some regions where no Canadian broadcaster holds the rights. Even within Ontario, Yes TV isn’t available in all areas.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (December 7, 2021 11:25 pm)

December 7, 2021 11:54 pm  #13

Jeopardy does pretty well in Canada.  It often is in the top 30, along with Wheel of Fortune.  Last rating Jeopardy came in at #21 with 744,000 viewers.  Yes tv, CHCH, CHEK TV in Victoria and NTV in the Maritimes appear to be in a buying group for some shows including Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, 20/20, Access Hollywood and others. This group is called indieNET, and they likely work together with advertising buys too.   Maybe someone else knows a little more about them.  indieNet claim they cover about 94% of Canada.  Here is their website..https://www.indienet2021.com/premiere