sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2021 11:15 am  #1

Enough with the Fake News

...As if we don't have enough "Fake News" already these days.
Getting a little tired of seeing TV commercials presented in a News format with a "fake anchor" throwing to a "fake reporter ". This is nothing new but the latest Manulife spot is wearing a little thin.  Now there is a new one ..and I think it is also for a drug company. Blurred lines?   Your thoughts? 

December 5, 2021 11:23 am  #2

Re: Enough with the Fake News

I would hope most viewers would have the wisdom to know the difference between a spot and the real thing, but these days, you never know. 

Far worse, to me, was two weeks ago when the Toronto Star's Saturday edition published two full sized paid pages from the China Daily, an arm of the Chinese Communist Party. It was supposedly "news," although it was all positive spin about wonderful breakthroughs and how great life is in that oppressed country. Yes, the Star did mark it at the top of the pages as paid content, but that small print was easy to overlook and for all intents and purposes, it looked like part of the newspaper. (I think the Globe has done this, too, although I have not seen it.)

I know things are tight at in the newspaper biz these days, but they should never get so bad that outright propaganda from any dictatorial government gets published in the biggest paper in Canada, even if it's marked as an "ad."

December 5, 2021 12:56 pm  #3

In addition to the paid content or advertisement notice at the top of the page, the type font will look different as well as the headlines.  The Star and the Globe editorial pages have a specific font for news copy and headlines.  The paid stuff will look different, even in the page size, quality of the newsprint or  layout.  Not sure if the Star or Globe can actually turn something like this down.

Papers don't usually decide who can and can't advertise. They would turn away the ad if it was outright lying, hateful, an illegal product, or anything that was libelous or slanderous. Papers might discourage an advertiser if the product is totally at odds with the readers of the paper.  If a newspaper were to not run the material, and the copy was meeting all of the papers standards and guidelines, they could be taken to court. 

What I don't like is when the paid content only makes up part of a page.  So there is real news copy on the page and maybe half or one quarter of the page is "fake" with paid articles or advertorial.  This has been happening more of late in all of the papers, and this can be harder to spot  Both the Globe and especially the National Post have this occasionally in their business sections.  Eg. An article about mutual funds which is written and provided by Fidelity Investments or RBC.  There is still the paid content notice at the top but I find this annoying. 

Last edited by paterson1 (December 5, 2021 12:59 pm)

December 5, 2021 2:13 pm  #4

I've never been in the newspaper game, but I'm not sure you're correct in saying they can't turn down an ad for publication without fear of being taken to court. I believe they have every right to do so and that there's no law that can force them to publish something they don't want in their paper - with the exception, perhaps, of political parties during an election. (Politicians always leave themselves an out!)

If your contention stands, there would be nothing to stop a carefully worded anti-vaxx organization, as an example, from taking out an ad in the Toronto Star to spew their opinions. I'm pretty sure the Star would turn that down without another thought. 

Perhaps someone could clarify this. But I believe any newspaper or even TV or radio station is free to turn down any sponsor it wishes because it doesn't fit their image or policy. Beyond elections, as noted, I've never heard of a station or newspaper being forced to accept an advertisement it doesn't want. 

If I'm correct, both the Star and the Globe should be ashamed of themselves for railing against Communist China for its human rights abuses and other crimes in its news sections, while blithely accepting their money on other pages. That's hypocrisy at best and in my mind, unethical at worst. 

December 5, 2021 3:19 pm  #5

I am by no means a legal expert, but I am not so sure it is as clear as the paper, TV or radio station not accepting an ad because it doesn't fit their image.  All of them are public advertising media and an advertiser could threaten them with litigation if they don't have a very good reason for not running an ad.  Even if an owner has in their guidelines for advertising that they reserve the right to turn down any ads, still could be challenged. 

Not fitting our image, or disagreeing with a group could be an issue.   As long as the product is legal, and doesn't cross any libel or slander laws, not hateful or make false claims, meets the guidelines and standards, it could be a problem if the paper or station refused to run the ad.  Especially if there are a limited number outlets for advertising like in a smaller market. 

That's why on infomercials for some sketchy products, or religious broadcasts, the broadcaster will say at the top and after the feature that the broadcast is paid advertising and does not (necessarily) reflect the views of the station or the owners of the station. 

An anti- vaxx group could take an ad  out in the paper, and some maybe have.  However all claims that they are making, eg. vaccines don't work, need to be verified with facts and proven.  They aren't able to do this since the facts are not on their side, and they have no proof.   Anti-vaxx groups can give their opinion on how they think that the government is over reaching but beyond that pretty limited as far as any claims regarding the effectiveness of any vaccine unless they have proof.  Just saying that something doesn't work, or a relative got sick after taking a vaccine isn't proof. 

When situations like this come up, the paper or broadcast outlet can charge their non contract open rate for advertising which would be very expensive.  This often is enough to make the situation go away.    

December 5, 2021 3:26 pm  #6

Well, I'd like to know what the rules say. As far as I know, the Star is a private organization and is therefore able to choose who it does business with. You have no God-given right to advertise there unless they're willing to accept your copy.

Same with a restaurant, which is free to deny service to anyone who might be causing a disturbance or a problem. Bad publicity could result, but you're not forced to do business with anyone, as long as religious or racial discrimination is not involved. 

As for my anti-vaxx example, that's why I specifically said "carefully worded." It might be possible to fashion one with no false statements that nonetheless leaves an impression that the vaccines aren't safe. I'm pretty sure the Star could easily say no. 

If anyone can clarify this, feel free to let us both know what the law is. 

December 5, 2021 3:37 pm  #7

Agreed, I am not totally sure on this either.  However your statement that the Star is a private organization who can choose who they do business with, and nobody has a God given right to advertise, sort of defeats the idea of a free and open press.  A free and open press would also include advertising I would think. 

December 5, 2021 4:41 pm  #8

Don't think a free and open press includes advertising, which by its very nature is not only self-serving but also self promoting. And it's paid for, which makes it different from journalism. An interesting debate, though.

December 5, 2021 7:26 pm  #9

I think we may be getting confused with 1st amendment rights and the fact that publishers in the US can in fact turn down advertising that conflicts with the owners political beliefs or morals.  In this case they  are free to pick and choose who advertises in their paper or station, and  some do operate this way.   Here, I am not sure it is as clear, or happens that often.   Advertising regs are also different in the two countries.

I did find an example of an ad that was turned down by the Williams Lake Tribune which is owned by Black Press (20% owned by Torstar).  The press release from the Vancouver Humane Society is kind of confusing and poorly written however.  And the newspaper makes it sound like they could take some ads at some point..
https://vancouverhumanesociety.bc.ca/posts/newspaper-refuses-to-print-ad-opposing-rodeo/