sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 28, 2021 10:48 am  #1

Another TV Remake Surfaces - But This One Can't Be Updated

The CW (Channel 23 in this area) has remade an old Christmas classic that may yet wind up being one of those old-new weekly TV series. But unlike most ancient shows that get a modern-day spin, the producers can't possibly update this one for 2021. Or even 1981. 

It's a movie called "The Homecoming," which was the launching pad for the long running and very popular TV series "The Waltons," which aired on CBS from 1972-1981, with some special movies commissioned after that. It spun off from the above-named movie, which led to the series. 

The new flick airs Sunday night with an entirely new cast (the kids from 1972 are now in their 50s and 60s) and one significant omission - one of the characters, Ben Walton, has been written out of the remake for reasons that aren't entirely clear. 

Only one original cast member is back - Richard Thomas, the one-time John-Boy, returns as the adult version of himself and is now the narrator, which creator Earl Hamner voiced in the original. (The actor who plays the teen version of Kevin on "This Is Us" gets the starring role as Thomas' old character.)

What I find fascinating about this is that every single remake of other shows has always made an accommodation for a new era, updating references and incorporating modern technology, like cell phones and the Internet. But because the Depression is such an important part of the plot, outside of being in HD, this one obviously can't do that. It should be interesting to see what, if anything, they do about all the years that have gone by that they can't acknowledge and how they handle an old story with a new cast.  

One thing is almost certain - I'm betting it won't be the same or as good as the original. Remakes rarely are.

‘The Waltons’ Homecoming’: Richard Thomas on Taking Over Earl Hamner’s Narration Duties

The New Waltons:

November 28, 2021 11:06 am  #2

Re: Another TV Remake Surfaces - But This One Can't Be Updated

Perhaps I spoke too soon. This review, from an Iowa newspaper, takes issue with what's on the screen.

"The clothes are too clean, the sets are too big and, if you look down the street, you’d probably see a gazebo where they sell lattes and Christmas trees.

"Designed to reboot the popular 1970s series, the CW version is glossier than it needs to be and, in places, a little more adult than it should be."

Hmm, intriguing. The wholesome church-going Waltons - more adult? Now THAT I have to see.

Another review claims the remake is full of "anachronisms." Again, now I have to watch it. (It also notes the Ben character could be brought back if the thing goes to series. But this being the super-hero-oriented CW, it wouldn't surprise me if he had powers and wore a cape!)

Goodnight, John-Boy and the "adult" Waltons. Now go wash your mouths out with soap...

November 29, 2021 10:36 am  #3

The original Homecoming is one of my favourite Christmas movies. I make a point of watching it every Christmas Eve. I can't imagine any remake being nearly as good as the original. I mean, no Patricia Neal? No Cleavon Little? C'mon.
So I'll give this new one a swerve. Not that I could easily see it anyway. I don't have anything but rabbit ears so OTA is not a real option and I don't see it listed in my Bell Fibe listings.

November 29, 2021 11:59 am  #4

Spoiler alerts ahead.

It was on the CW (channel 23 in Buffalo) on Sunday night. And believe me, you didn't miss anything. I was a big fan of the old show and this one was very hard to watch. The casting was off (although it was hard not to compare them to the previous generation, so maybe that's not entirely fair.) 

Many of the key scenes - like the one you mentioned with Cleavon Little ("Miss Mamie, Miss Emily we have got to have some gas...") were left out entirely. They even blew the key scene about John-Boy getting his special Xmas present, with the dialogue that made the original so poignant.

And it had a bizarre coda at the end with an elderly Elizabeth visiting John-Boy's grave! WTF! 

And while I predicted they couldn't contemporize a show set in the Depression, I admit I was wrong. The Walton children using words like "butt", "hell" "damn" and more repeatedly, would never have been heard in the '72 version. It just didn't feel right. 

And I swear the actor playing the grandfather was channeling Woody Harrelson! 

Plus, there were a few bows to political correctness. Mary Ellen becoming a feminist? The character always had that streak in her, but they really over emphasized it. A black police officer in 1930's Virginia? I'm not sure if that ever happened. And it goes on and on. 

And, maybe it's because TV and times have changed, but I found it boring. And perhaps that was the worst sin of all. I hope it doesn't become a series. If it does, I won't be watching.