sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2021 10:26 am  #1

Engineer Painstakingly Recreates 80s Radio Studio For TV Shoot

The engineers or technical minded may find this as interesting as I did - it's about a guy who was asked to recreate a vintage 1980s radio studio for an Australian TV show. But he found what you might expect - some of the equipment he needed either no longer existed or had somewhat disintegrated into dust. 

But he managed to make it happen anyway, from cart machines to reel-to-reel tape recorders, with remarkable accuracy. He outlines how he did it in both words and pictures in the article below. (ABC, in this case, is the Australian Broadcasting Corporation not the American network.)

"...the result was worth it: a 100% practical studio where the mics worked and the meters bounced, and no anorak would need to go unhappy.  Sadly, the flashing on-hold lights, the bouncing meters, the carefully synchronised studio clocks, and the working Cuemaster 4000 never made it in-shot.  No matter.  Three of us knew it could have worked, and the audio director was impressed."

Note the ashtray on the console. I was never a smoker but unfortunately inhaled more of it than I would have liked when I was working for a rock station in the 80s. To me, that may be the most accurate part of the set!

1980s radio studio recreated for ABC TV Show

November 25, 2021 9:05 pm  #2

Re: Engineer Painstakingly Recreates 80s Radio Studio For TV Shoot

Seems like yesterday we were using that technology...

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 25, 2021 9:27 pm  #3

Ah yes the good old days.
If I wanted to do a production piece that needed some music behind it I had to go to petty cash and get permission to go down to the local record store -- buy the record and bring it back to the station.
There I would record the music I wanted on a cart and play it in the background while I read the script into a mic and into a reel-to-reel machine.
Magic!

November 25, 2021 10:19 pm  #4

Computers have definitely made things easier these days, but there was an undeniable sense of accomplishment when you made that perfect edit on reel-to-reel tape, a join so good, even you couldn't hear it. I liked both Studers and Ampex units - and those latter machines were almost indestructible. 

December 1, 2021 10:51 am  #5