sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2021 10:01 am  #1

Could Shaw Deal Lead To Rogers Selling The Blue Jays?

That's one option the Globe & Mail insists the company is pondering, as it seeks to find a way to pay for the big (and still not approved) takeover.

Rogers looks to cash in on Blue Jays to pay down company debt ahead of Shaw deal

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-rogers-looks-to-cash-in-on-blue-jays-to-pay-down-company-debt-ahead-of/

What would this mean for future radio and TV rights for the team's games? Right now, there's no doubt they'll be on Rogers-owned properties like Sportsnet and the Fan590. But if the company no longer owned the franchise, that could certainly change down the road and you have to wonder if Bell (and TSN) would try to get hold of Canada's only Major League Baseball franchise. 

November 22, 2021 12:30 pm  #2

Re: Could Shaw Deal Lead To Rogers Selling The Blue Jays?

Weren't they supposed to sell at least PART of the Jays anyway to help invest in repairs and upkeep of the Rogers Centre? (or a replacement, maybe?)

I remember at one point there was an idea to replace the Rogers Centre name with any company name of a business willing to put their name on the side of the building.  That's when I joked that I wish it could have been Labatt. 
That way it could be the Labatt Blue Jay centre. Better yet, add a bottle to their uniform so we can call them the Labatt Blue jays once again! lol 

The other thought that came to my mind was to have any company with the word SKY in the name so we could call it the SkyDome once again. lol

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 22, 2021 12:33 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2021 1:39 pm  #3

Re: Could Shaw Deal Lead To Rogers Selling The Blue Jays?

Rogers has "pondered aloud" on similar matters before...   maybe seven or eight years ago, Laurence (who had replaced Adir)  announced that Rogers was looking to spin off non core assets. One such entity was TSC (Shopping Channel)...

Well, fast forward seven years, and TSC is still there and Guy Laurence is not...