sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2021 12:25 pm  #1

TSN 1050 Launches New Morning Show

It's called "First Up" and features former Leaf Carlo Colaiacovo and Aaron Korolnek. It started on Nov. 12th.

First Up: TSN 1050's new morning crew

November 18, 2021 5:24 pm  #2

Re: TSN 1050 Launches New Morning Show

Like the First Up name of the show.

November 18, 2021 5:54 pm  #3

Do need to give credit that TSN 1050 has a lot of good original shows throughout the day.  With the live leaf, raptor and argo broadcasts they are doing a lot of things right.  Interesting too that they have a national golf show and also cover mixed martial arts.  Too bad so far at least all of this has not been reflected with better ratings. They do get a lot of TV exposure with the Overdrive simulcast on TSN TV. 

November 21, 2021 8:05 am  #4

I wonder if the frequency is part of the problem. Outside of the GTA 1050 gets hammered at night. I think 820 would make a far better home for them.

November 21, 2021 11:53 am  #5

andysradio wrote:

I wonder if the frequency is part of the problem. Outside of the GTA 1050 gets hammered at night. I think 820 would make a far better home for them.

Good point andysradio, I live a little over an hour west of Toronto, and 590, 640, 680, 740, 820, 900, 1010, 1150 all come in clearer and stronger than 1050.  Even in the daytime the signal is poor, evenings not listenable at all.  I have noticed that a lot of AM stations seem weaker, or maybe it is just because I listen to FM 90% of the time.  One of the weakest stations on the AM dial even in the daytime is CJOY 1460 in Guelph.   I live 25km away from Guelph, and CJOY's transmitter site is even closer, the signal is awful and this is surprising since they are 10,000 watts.  Coming in from the west, you almost need to be inside the Guelph city limits before CJOY's signal is decent.   

November 21, 2021 1:42 pm  #6

torontostan wrote:

andysradio wrote:

Not sure why Bell didn't keep 1150 as TSN and just simulcast 1050. This would've covered the GTHA much better and probably would rate better than simulcasts of Business News TV. 

Makes sense in theory, but there's no "GTHA" unified ratings. In fact, Hamilton and Toronto don't even use the same system. They'd have to encode 1150 for PPM and pay to have it rated in Toronto, where it would appear as a separate station from 1050. It probably wouldn't even register.

As for Hamilton - no real benefit there as 1150 even with good local shows didn't make a dent. Doing Bloomberg, which doesn't depend on ratings for revenue, unfortunately would be the way to go for now.

November 21, 2021 3:27 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

One of the weakest stations on the AM dial even in the daytime is CJOY 1460 in Guelph.   I live 25km away from Guelph, and CJOY's transmitter site is even closer, the signal is awful and this is surprising since they are 10,000 watts.  Coming in from the west, you almost need to be inside the Guelph city limits before CJOY's signal is decent.

Interesting you mention CJOY. Where I live (on the northern edge of North York) I used to be able to get them over the air with some static but at least they came in in a listenable fashion. But over the past year or so, something happened. There's now only RF and noise where 1460's signal used to be. It is not even receivable here most days.

I often wonder what changed. I know I haven't moved, nothing new electronic-wise has been installed in this area as far as I know, and I'm still using the same radio. So what happened to CJOY's signal?

I suppose I can honestly say I get no JOY out of listening to Guelph on the AM dial. 

November 21, 2021 8:58 pm  #8

torontostan wrote:

Why would 1150 have to encode for PPM? Couldn't they just keep everything the way it was, but drop all of the local shows in Hamilton and essentially run CKOC as a rebroadcaster of CHUM? 

The original point in the thread was that 1050 may be suffering in ratings because its signal doesn't cover the GTA as well as some other AMs. By simulcasting it on 1150 without encoding for PPM, not only do you not help the problem, you actually make it worse, as anyone who finds 1150 to be better reception is removed from 1050's ratings. The "better contour for the region" is true, but counter-productive from the business side. It's entirely possible that may have been a factor in bailing from sports on 1150 in the first place.

As for Bloomberg, the revenue is raised through syndication, which relies on potential audience rather than actual audience, as well as being sold holistically with TV, online, and other outlets. That's how all the TV subchannels in the US make money. 

1150 isn't going to be sold on ratings either way, so the current approach works best.

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 21, 2021 9:12 pm)