sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2021 2:37 pm  #1

G98.7 has a new morning and evening show

Hello.
this might be late, but last weak G98.7 just got a new morning show called great music mornings with red and jay.
and they also have a show from 7pm to 9:30pm on weakdays.
Please check the new format out.
Hope they launch hd radio.
What format do you guys think they would put on the subchannels if they launch hd radio?

November 16, 2021 6:13 pm  #2

Re: G98.7 has a new morning and evening show

Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:

Hello.
this might be late, but last weak G98.7 just got a new morning show called great music mornings with red and jay.
and they also have a show from 7pm to 9:30pm on weakdays.
Please check the new format out.
Hope they launch hd radio.
What format do you guys think they would put on the subchannels if they launch hd radio?

Based on their license being "ethnic", I would expect those restrictions would carry over to their subchannels.    If anything they could try going more traditional but focused formats like reggae, African world beat, calypso etc.    They can also go into non-english spoken word on some of those likely too.    The trade off of being "ethnic" licensed, is they get a much lower cancon requirement.   Flow was and still is a full commercial license, so there was never restrictions on what they could do, as long as their was a business case, and audience/client base.   G987 will never be able to be true urban ac, urban, etc. etc. as long as they have that "ethnic" class license if they expect to not be in the CRTC's cross hairs and at risk of losing the license as their former owner has put the station in. 

November 16, 2021 6:51 pm  #3

If CKFG goes HD, the sub-channel will almost certainly be CINA.

November 16, 2021 7:10 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

If CKFG goes HD, the sub-channel will almost certainly be CINA.

They can have 4 sub channels with HD, so I can see one being CINA for sure. 

November 16, 2021 7:13 pm  #5

And nobody else is carrying license terms from their main signal to HD2/3/4, so while the sub-channels are a regulatory wild-west, they can pretty much do what they want.

November 16, 2021 8:46 pm  #6

Wonder if they could even fit the HD sidebands in their spectrum, since they're so close to 99.1 

November 16, 2021 8:50 pm  #7

torontostan wrote:

Wonder if they could even fit the HD sidebands in their spectrum, since they're so close to 99.1 

...which itself has HD. So maybe?

November 17, 2021 11:23 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

And nobody else is carrying license terms from their main signal to HD2/3/4, so while the sub-channels are a regulatory wild-west, they can pretty much do what they want.

In what way?

All multi-cultural stations run multi-cultural/ethnic programming on their HD sub channels.

Commercial stations are not limited with any requirements regarding format on any part of the license other than Canadian content, which seems to be echoed through their subchannels. 

I would argue they are in fact in compliance/have approval on what is on their sub channels based on what the host license is.    I'm not a lawyer, but I would suspect, G987 would be required to carry ethnic based programming on their subchannels to remain in compliance without special CRTC approval.  

November 17, 2021 4:14 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

torontostan wrote:

...which itself has HD. So maybe?

CBC has HD radio now? This is news to me! 

November 17, 2021 8:55 pm  #10

radiokid wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

In what way?

All multi-cultural stations run multi-cultural/ethnic programming on their HD sub channels.

Commercial stations are not limited with any requirements regarding format on any part of the license other than Canadian content, which seems to be echoed through their subchannels. 

I would argue they are in fact in compliance/have approval on what is on their sub channels based on what the host license is.    I'm not a lawyer, but I would suspect, G987 would be required to carry ethnic based programming on their subchannels to remain in compliance without special CRTC approval.  

G98.7 is required to air 50% world music. That's the extent of it.

KiSS 92.5 is required to operate as a category 2 music station, but is running two specialty formats on its sub-channels.

Energy 95.3 is required to run as a Hamilton-based category 2 music station, but is running a Toronto station's specialty format on HD2.

Indie 88's HD2 is running a rock format without their emerging artist requirement. Virgin Radio 99.9 is running a country format that doesn't sound like it's meeting Cancon to me.

I've been through a license renewal for a station with HD - the sub-channels aren't checked. It's a free-for-all; the CRTC cares about HD about as much as listeners do