sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2021 4:27 pm  #1

Where Is Ryan Doyle?

I was surprised to hear Jim Richards back for a third straight week from the graveyard shift, subbing once again for the now seemingly never-present Ryan Doyle. Which leads to one question: where is the host of CFRB's afternoon drivetime show? It's an unusually long absence by any radio standard, especially coming when it has.

Who takes three weeks off (and counting) in November? Especially when he was off for a bit last month. On Monday, Richards certainly made it sound like his PD asked him to take the co-host seat one more time at the last minute. 

I'm not a fan of his style and not a frequent listener, but I don't wish him any ill, either. I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with the guy. I just can't remember anyone taking this much time off for this long. It's pure speculation, of course, but I hope I'm wrong in thinking there's something odd about his lengthy leave. 

November 15, 2021 9:10 pm  #2

Re: Where Is Ryan Doyle?

RadioActive wrote:

I was surprised to hear Jim Richards back for a third straight week from the graveyard shift, subbing once again for the now seemingly never-present Ryan Doyle. Which leads to one question: where is the host of CFRB's afternoon drivetime show? It's an unusually long absence by any radio standard, especially coming when it has.

Who takes three weeks off (and counting) in November? Especially when he was off for a bit last month. On Monday, Richards certainly made it sound like his PD asked him to take the co-host seat one more time at the last minute. 

I'm not a fan of his style and not a frequent listener, but I don't wish him any ill, either. I hope there's nothing seriously wrong with the guy. I just can't remember anyone taking this much time off for this long. It's pure speculation, of course, but I hope I'm wrong in thinking there's something odd about his lengthy leave. 

It feels like Ryan is taking an unannounced personal leave of absence, sort of like what John Moore did, and if that's the case, one hopes that he's on the mend.

Several months ago when I made the observation here on the big yellow board that Ray and Jay rarely co-host The Rush together, and wondered if there was trouble, Jay went to great lengths by throwing my post up on Twitter, to assure everyone that all was well between the two. Which was an interesting response.

Wouldn't mind hearing Amanda Galbraith on The Rush if this mystery absence continues.

Below is a pretty funny clip Jay recently posted on his Twitter account of a radio gig he did.

https://twitter.com/JayOnTheRushTO/status/1451167383046004737?t=EfXKHW9luFAf7QkMe_YAxg&s=19

November 22, 2021 7:57 am  #3

Wherever he is, he's still there. For the fourth straight week, Ryan Doyle is off the show, with a promo running that Tamara Cherry will be sitting in for him all this week on The Rush. (Jim Richards is back doing overnights.)

I don't listen to the show a lot, so I can't say for sure if they've addressed this prolonged absence, but eventually they're going to have to. Whatever the reason, he has the right to privacy, but they're going to need to say something, even if it's generic - like he's taking care of a personal matter or an illness in the family.

Being gone from the all-important afternoon drive slot for nearly a month cries out for some explanation. I wonder if or when they'll give their loyal listeners one. 

November 22, 2021 5:52 pm  #4

Just tuned in for a bit, Tamara Cherry's personality isn't as naturally radio friendly as some other people that are filling in, but that's why they invented flipping back and forth between 1010 and TSN's OverDrive show.😏

It could be a while longer before we get any news on why Ryan is absent. As I recall, John Moore was off for weeks and weeks and weeks before his absence was addressed, and then all that was said was "he'll be back."

If I could pick any temporary co-host it would be Amanda Galbraith. With lots of Richard Crouse segments. And no callers with their Captain Obvious comments.

Thinking good thoughts for Ryan's return. The terrific people at that station have been through enough this year.

Last edited by betaylored (November 22, 2021 5:53 pm)

November 22, 2021 6:08 pm  #5

I remember when Tamara Cherry was CFTO's (sorry CTV News') crime reporter.  She is a credit to the profession.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 22, 2021 7:47 pm)

November 23, 2021 12:04 am  #6

Media Observer wrote:

I remember when Tamara Cherry was CFTO's (sorry CTV News') crime reporter.  She is a credit to the profession.

I agree Media Observer, I listened a fair amount this afternoon to her show with Jay after my initial post, and was popping back here to update it until I saw your post.

Tamara and Jay balance each other well.

She was interested (which is not always the case with the co-host) in the subjects they covered, and provided good substantial info on companies and their differences in health insurance benefits and the ways Canadians are forced to navigate their coverage.

Maybe more importantly for some of the people here on the big yellow board, Tamara's also writing a book about the serious mental trauma people in the media face due to their jobs, and the huge toll it takes. She and Jay talked about how the news is gathered and delivered impacts the reporters, both short and long-term.

This thread from Tamara is well worth reading, and she's getting a positive response. There's also all the info on the upcoming book on her Twitter page. I'm sure Jay and also John Moore and Moore In The Morning will have Tamara on when it's released.

https://twitter.com/tamaracherry/status/1461765507233820683?t=zhmC09Y55D9VjHce73cRsg&s=19

I'll be listening to The Rush tomorrow.

Last edited by betaylored (November 23, 2021 12:21 am)