sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2021 9:47 am  #31

Re: Rogers Family In Real Life "Succession" Battle

Today's Toronto Star "Exclusive" provides another roadmap of Ed Jr's bumbling and his management style. Obviously few people skills.  This time it's the Raptor's President...and a play to wrest ownership concessions from MLSE/Bell .

Bizarrely amusing is the reference to Masai Ujuri arriving at the Rogers L. Rosseau compound with bodyguards.  Huh?  It was a driver Edward and a videographer who was working with Ujuri on another assignment.  

https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/10/25/edward-rogers-fought-plans-to-keep-raptors-masai-ujiri-but-was-thwarted-by-mlse-head-sources-say.html

October 25, 2021 11:06 am  #32

This seems only appropriate given everything that's going on:

Rogers Communications Posts Lower Profit in Q3

October 25, 2021 4:24 pm  #33

October 27, 2021 3:05 pm  #34

Will all of this increase my Rogers bill?

Yes.  The answer is always yes.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

October 27, 2021 5:03 pm  #35

Bill, I hate to correct you; but Rogers does have Ignite; which has fibre optics I believe.

October 27, 2021 5:26 pm  #36

John D wrote:

Bill, I hate to correct you; but Rogers does have Ignite; which has fibre optics I believe.

I don't believe so.  When we got Ignite, the cable to our house was never changed.  The wire coming from the pole was coax.  People, correct me if I'm wrong. That said, the Ignite box by itself is a better technology with a far superior user interface and search capability than Fibe.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (October 27, 2021 5:29 pm)

October 27, 2021 5:59 pm  #37

Leslieville Bill wrote:

John D wrote:

I don't believe so.  When we got Ignite, the cable to our house was never changed.  The wire coming from the pole was coax.  People, correct me if I'm wrong. That said, the Ignite box by itself is a better technology with a far superior user interface and search capability than Fibe.

Rogers runs fibre to the node in most areas and in some areas fibre to the home currently.   Coax past that to your home.   Bell uses VDSL on copper pairs or fibre to the home depending on your area.   Both use data networks to provide tv service or IPTV technology.    Both are limited by the technology in place in your area, but are both equally reliable.  It won't be long before cable companies and phone companies replace the copper parts of the networks (mainly between you and their node or equipment in your neighborhood) with fibre.  It's future proof and allows growth.   This is why Rogers and others have been moving away from traditional cable, to free up signals for more data.

As for the drama in the boardroom I do have to wonder if the same thing was happening at bell, CTV and other Bell owned networks would be spending so much time talking about it.  CBC that hasn't got anything in the game, hasn't made much if anything about it.    Canadians in general don't care about the boardroom rich people fights unless it effects them personally.

October 27, 2021 6:50 pm  #38

Leslieville Bill wrote:

John D wrote:

I don't believe so. When we got Ignite, the cable to our house was never changed. The wire coming from the pole was coax. People, correct me if I'm wrong. That said, the Ignite box by itself is a better technology with a far superior user interface and search capability than Fibe.

I think it depends on the area where you live / subscribe to the services...  example, our sub division is about thirty years old.  Bell and the cable co both have copper infrastructure in our area... to the residence.  Both have been upgrading the main trunks to fibre optic, but subscriber lines are still copper pairs or coaxial.

A neighbor across the street had Bell Fibe installed about six or seven years ago... problem after problem... Bell service was out to her home about six times over the course of five weeks...  changed the customer modem, had a new subscriber drop line trenched into her home... still didn't work. She ended up going back to cable. 

Perhaps Bell and the cable cos are installing fibre to new home builds in large subdivisions... but the cost of upgrading existing neighborhoods to fibre will be prohibitive. Especially in a time when residents are hanging up on a traditional POTS phone line, or cutting the cable tv cord...

October 28, 2021 8:39 am  #39

Thanks John D, radiokid, Glen Warren and torontostan for sorting me out!

October 28, 2021 4:21 pm  #40

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-canadians-are-paying-good-money-to-enjoy-this-rogers-family-meltdown

Excellent Coles Notes coverage, Cliff Notes for any friends south of the border. This donnybrook's better entertainment than the Leafs and Habs so far this year.

November 1, 2021 1:13 pm  #41

Rogers is incorporated in the province of British Columbia.

The Edward Rogers camp filed a petition in B.C. Supreme Court last Thursday, in which he seeks to regain control of the Rogers Board.

That petition is being heard today in B.C. Supreme Court...

November 1, 2021 5:40 pm  #42

Is it true that 'The Death of Stalin' has been removed from Rogers on-demand?

November 5, 2021 5:41 pm  #43

November 5, 2021 6:42 pm  #44

Think its gonna be a LONG weekend for Joe Natale...

November 5, 2021 8:23 pm  #45

time for someone to takeover this company. 

November 5, 2021 8:42 pm  #46

Glen Warren wrote:

Think its gonna be a LONG weekend for Joe Natale...

Joe will probably be OK.  I'm sure the severance will be "reasonable".....

November 5, 2021 9:44 pm  #47

Keep in mind there are others in leadership positions at Rogers who are also considering their options.

November 7, 2021 12:20 pm  #48

Came across a Globe & Mail article from October 27/28 that I don't think has been part of this thread.
Only problem is it is still behind the paywall and Clear This Page is not working on our iPad's Safari browser (if, indeed, that is the roadblock). RA, your help would be appreciated. Headline is below and
there's some interesting detail which may come into play in future days. Thanks.

Rogers CEO Joe Natale was set to earn up to $200-million severance package before family fought to retain him

November 7, 2021 12:41 pm  #50

Thanks, RA.

November 7, 2021 12:50 pm  #51

Another area that the Roger's family is a big player is real estate development.  They are going to be changing the growing Mississauga downtown skyline over the next few years.  Currently Rogers is developing and building 10 new condo/office/commercial towers in downtown Mississauga with the tallest tower coming in at 81 floors which will rival anything planned for downtown Toronto. 
https://www.torontovipcondo.com/aprg/newproject/projectdetail.aspx?sid=100277&pid=13961&M-CITY--4-CONDOS-IN-MISSISSAUGA-BY-ROGERS-REAL-ESTATE---URBAN-CAPITAL

November 7, 2021 12:59 pm  #52

paterson1 wrote:

Another area that the Roger's family is a big player is real estate development.  They are going to be changing the growing Mississauga downtown skyline over the next few years.  Currently Rogers is developing and building 10 new condo/office/commercial towers in downtown Mississauga with the tallest tower coming in at 81 floors which will rival anything planned for downtown Toronto. 
https://www.torontovipcondo.com/aprg/newproject/projectdetail.aspx?sid=100277&pid=13961&M-CITY--4-CONDOS-IN-MISSISSAUGA-BY-ROGERS-REAL-ESTATE---URBAN-CAPITAL

This, by any chance, the old CFTR transmitter site?

November 7, 2021 1:29 pm  #53

Could very well be Mike.  The original transmitter site of  CHFI AM in 1962 was in that area and farmland. Interesting how CHFI had the FM station first, then AM.  Amazing how Mississauga has and continues to grow. .    

November 7, 2021 3:47 pm  #54

mike marshall wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

This, by any chance, the old CFTR transmitter site?

Yes, good guess.  It is on what would have been the TX site frontage onto Burnhamthorpe.  The rest of the site has had housing on it since around 1989.

November 8, 2021 12:40 am  #55

“Rogers Communications Inc. announced today that it will not seek an appeal of last week’s British Columbia Supreme Court ruling.”

That's it. A one-liner tonight. Guess we're waiting for the other shoe...

November 8, 2021 5:02 pm  #56

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/inside-the-succession-style-drama-at-rogers-communications-1.1677830

This article reminds me of the "how it started & how it's going" tweets that have been making the rounds with suitably funny or grim before and now photos or GIFs on Twitter.

It goes really in depth with the personal histories of the family and the whole uncomfortable back story.

It went up a few hours ago.

Anybody willing to bet there's a couple of Canuck showrunners madly typing on their laptops with the pilot of a tv show about a family run business that falls apart?

November 14, 2021 1:35 pm  #57

November 17, 2021 2:48 pm  #59

November 19, 2021 8:00 am  #60

From the Toronto Star, an extensive article detailing the ins and outs (mostly outs) of the Rogers family's very public battle.

How Rogers came undone: Inside the strangest business battle in Canadian history

https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.thestar.com/business/2021/11/19/how-60-days-in-autumn-divided-the-rogers-family-and-threw-an-empire-into-chaos.html