sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2021 4:00 pm  #1

Former Newstalk 1010 News Director Kym Geddes Reinvents Herself

The February 2021 Bell purge hit many radio staffers including shutdown of the Newstalk 1010 Newsroom, which was being led by news director Kym Geddes. Certainly a distinctive on-air voice (and she'd regularly do newscaster shifts), and she previously had her tenure at Q107, CHUM-FM and AM640 as a news anchor.

I'd wondered if she'd land at another station somewhere, or make a seemingly common move into "corporate communications", public relations or consulting. Looks like the latter - her new venture as of last month is "Kym Geddes Leadership Dynamics" - https://www.kymgeddes.com/ , promising "Individual, team and corporate" consulting in leadership, succession plans, and onboarding and workshops, courses and consulting.

It's tough out there - veteran talent replaced by "younger and cheaper" individuals willing to do the lower wages as they're starting out and I admire anyone who can leverage their skills from management to start a new venture and this time without any radio in sight. Some switch entirely like longtime sports figure Howard Berger now a Funeral Director's Assistant and former Newstalk 1010 overnight news anchor John Elston a school bus driver.

November 11, 2021 6:58 am  #2

Re: Former Newstalk 1010 News Director Kym Geddes Reinvents Herself

It's tough out there - veteran talent replaced by "younger and cheaper" individuals willing to do the lower wages.
"Younger and cheaper" and in many cases lacking the necessary broadcasting skills to communicate properly.  Delivery problems include mispronunciations, timing, speed and volume levels.  It is apparent there is no supervision to ensure professionalism.  No air-checks today? 

November 11, 2021 4:02 pm  #3

Re: Former Newstalk 1010 News Director Kym Geddes Reinvents Herself

Maybo wrote:

laffin wrote:

It's tough out there - veteran talent replaced by "younger and cheaper" individuals willing to do the lower wages.

"It is apparent there is no supervision to ensure professionalism.  No air-checks today? 

That sort of thing costs money and effort.
Or, as my boss once asked me after I pointed out some glaring mistakes that had moved on our wire copy, “Did anybody call?”

Or the time I asked a main desker when I asked about a new policy of feeding AP copy directly on the wire, instead of going through an editor as had been done for years.

"What about the quality," I asked.

The response? "The days of quality are gone."

Last edited by Dale Patterson (November 11, 2021 4:03 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram