sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2021 1:56 pm  #1

Poll: Radios Still One Of The Most Impt. Features For New Car Buyers

The fact that this survey was sponsored by radio manufacturers and the NAB should instantly tell you what the results are, but it does contain a few interesting factoids 

According to the poll of almost 7,000 people, nearly 90% of car buyers think a radio should be standard in any vehicle. (Isn't that already the case?) The questions were asked of drivers in the U.S., Australia, France, Germany, the U.K. and Italy, but not Canada. 

Many say the biggest add-on they want isn't Bluetooth or track info, but rather the ability to change the station using voice controls. (Have to say I don't think I would use this even if it was in my car.)

And despite the ongoing popularity of services like Sirius XM, most agree they simply don't want to pay for what they listen to. 

"A clear majority don't want to pay for radio – 91% say it is 'important' that radio should remain free to listen to – as it is currently via analogue and digital broadcast radio tuners. The importance of free-to-air radio was highlighted by motorists' concerns about data charges for streamed content: a clear majority (71%) of those who currently listening to audio via their mobile device say they are 'concerned' about how much data they are using."

89% of car buyers say broadcast radio should be standard in every vehicle

November 9, 2021 2:19 pm  #2

Re: Poll: Radios Still One Of The Most Impt. Features For New Car Buyers

"54% of respondents say they listen to broadcast radio in the car 'frequently', versus 29% for online streaming music services and 19% for CDs."

CDs are still a thing? 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

November 9, 2021 5:24 pm  #3

Years ago, if the car I bought had no radio, I would install an aftermarket radio. But today, no radio in the car would be a deal breaker for me. 

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 9, 2021 5:47 pm  #4

I'm looking for a new car and will buy one eventually, once the supply chain and chip issues are solved. The very first thing I ask about is the radio!

November 9, 2021 9:45 pm  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

"54% of respondents say they listen to broadcast radio in the car 'frequently', versus 29% for online streaming music services and 19% for CDs."

CDs are still a thing? 

They are when you spent 85-bucks years ago for Dizzy's never-released-in-North America "Reunion Big Band"
on MPS. Which reminds me, the car makers aren't putting the players in their vee-hickels much anymore.
Just have to buy an older car next time.