sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2021 8:35 pm  #1

A Question About Channels 4 & 23 From Buffalo

Both WIVB and WNLO have been driving me crazy for months, ever since they moved the transmitter site back to Colden, N.Y. during the repack and too often out of signal range of my 40' outdoor mast in Toronto. Getting them both was always a hit-and-miss proposition, and all too often during the summer, it was a miss. 

At least it used to be. At the risk of angering the TV gods, the past few weeks have been very different. Both have been coming in well enough to watch, and without pixilation in the signal - or even an outright black screen. I certainly haven't done anything different or made any other changes. 

My question is - have they? Perhaps someone here can tell me if it's a change in the weather that's responsible for the better reception, a change at the station or a change somewhere elsewhere. I can't quite account for it - but I'm glad whatever is going on has happened. And I just hope it stays that way. Has anyone else noticed this?

November 8, 2021 11:23 am  #2

Re: A Question About Channels 4 & 23 From Buffalo

The last month I havent received the channel (4&23) for awhile - luckily I dont really watch them. All other buffalo channels are decently strong and coming in regardless of weather so im not sure what they are doing. 

November 8, 2021 11:52 am  #3

Odd, I live in Peterborough on a hill and get them both rock solid. You problem could still be too much RF

November 8, 2021 12:08 pm  #4

Hard to say. Some here have reported endless problems with WGRZ. It's the one station that always comes in perfectly for me, regardless of the conditions outside. Just like in real estate, I guess location really is everything!

November 8, 2021 2:35 pm  #5

andysradio wrote:

Odd, I live in Peterborough on a hill and get them both rock solid. You problem could still be too much RF

RF?    What does Ralph Furley (RF) (Three’s Company) have to do with tv?

November 8, 2021 2:48 pm  #6

I have a condo facing NE around The West Mall & Rathburn in Etobicoke.   I have always been a fan of TV and Radio DX’ing.    I’ve got an HD antenna mounted on my balcony wall facing SE.    it’s one of those double HD antennas.   One set is screwed to the wall and the other I can move.   I’ve caught some decent channels over the almost 6 years I’ve lived here.      I can still get chs. 4 + 23.    It’s tough getting the three main Buffalo networks all at once but occasionally I can.

I’ve picked up Rochester (8, 10),  Peterborough (12, 27), Syracuse (3, 9).     Yes, it’s possible to receive channel 9 Syracuse and channel 9 Toronto at the same time.    I just get two 9.1 channels.   Couldn’t do that with the old TV sets.    Wish I could install some HD antennas on the condo roof so I could get channels in all directions.

November 8, 2021 3:55 pm  #7

djwildbill wrote:

I have a condo facing NE around The West Mall & Rathburn in Etobicoke. I have always been a fan of TV and Radio DX’ing. I’ve got an HD antenna mounted on my balcony wall facing SE. it’s one of those double HD antennas. One set is screwed to the wall and the other I can move. I’ve caught some decent channels over the almost 6 years I’ve lived here. I can still get chs. 4 + 23. It’s tough getting the three main Buffalo networks all at once but occasionally I can.

I’ve picked up Rochester (8, 10), Peterborough (12, 27), Syracuse (3, 9). Yes, it’s possible to receive channel 9 Syracuse and channel 9 Toronto at the same time. I just get two 9.1 channels. Couldn’t do that with the old TV sets. Wish I could install some HD antennas on the condo roof so I could get channels in all directions.

I live close to you at Kipling and Eglinton south facing balcony.  Its a decent area for reception thats for sure. 

November 8, 2021 4:01 pm  #8

That's it! I guess I'm going to have to move!

November 8, 2021 5:57 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

That's it! I guess I'm going to have to move!

Call Frank Leo...  a good friend of Barbara Corcoran

November 8, 2021 6:20 pm  #10

Never mind his home sold guarantee. Can he guarantee I can get WIVB?