sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 3, 2021 12:28 am  #1

All Time All The Time – What You Never Knew About WWV

It’s not the first time we’ve had posts here about WWV, the all-time station on shortwave from Colorado. I’ve used it for years to set my watch to the exact time, which always came in handy if you were in broadcasting and working on a nightly newscast.

But the station’s website – and yes, it DOES have a website – contains a ton of fascinating info if you’re into this kind of stuff. Which I obviously am. Here are a few highlights:

-WWV boasts that it signed on in May 1920, a full six months before KDKA Pittsburgh. If so, that would make it the first and oldest radio station in the U.S.

-It used to be a music and information station, broadcasting farm facts to those working in agriculture. The time format didn’t start until 1922 but it wasn’t until 1950 that anyone actually announced the time on air – and even then, it was only every five minutes. The “every minute” voice didn’t launch until 1971.  

-It was originally based in Washington and then Maryland, before moving to its longtime home of Ft. Collins, Colorado.

-It’s only been off the air once in all those years, after a fire in 1940. But it was back on within five days from a neighbouring building.

-If you can’t get it on SW because of conditions, you can call for the time – there are two phone numbers, one in Colorado, the other in Hawaii. Neither are toll free. But incredibly, they claim those numbers get around 1,000 calls a day.

-They’re actually making a change to the “format” later this month. Not that you’ll necessarily notice. “Beginning November 15, 2021, WWV and WWVH will be broadcasting a test signal on minute 8 of each hour on WWV, and minute 48 on WWVH. This signal has been created to assist in ionospheric research…The signal consists of various tones, chirps, and Gaussian noise bursts.” Not sure what Gaussian noise bursts are or how you’ll recognize them, but there you go.

-And finally, believe it or not, there’s an actual format clock for the all time station. (Wonder if they have to keep a log?)

November 3, 2021 12:45 am  #2

Re: All Time All The Time – What You Never Knew About WWV

Thanks for that. I love WWV.
I suppose I'm a geek, but every New Years Eve, I ring in the New Year with the sweet sounds of WWV.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 3, 2021 1:10 am  #3

turkeytop wrote:

Thanks for that. I love WWV.
I suppose I'm a geek, but every New Years Eve, I ring in the New Year with the sweet sounds of WWV.

That would make for an excellent Youtube video!  (for this thread)
Someone else out there already did this at a random time:

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 3, 2021 1:25 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 3, 2021 7:06 pm  #4

I usually use CHU Canada based out of Ottawa, Ontario to set my clocks around the house. CHU transmits on shortwave at 3330 kHz, 7850 kHz and 14670 kHz.

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/nrc-shortwave-station-broadcasts-chu

November 3, 2021 7:34 pm  #5

I don't know which job would be more boring. Announcer, or script writer.

November 3, 2021 8:42 pm  #6

I don't know if the CBC still does this but it used to give the time check based on the atomic clock at the Ottawa observatory.  My father once beat a traffic ticket because of this.  He was pulled over after making a left turn on his way to work one morning.  The cop told him he has getting a ticket for making an illegal turn after nine a.m.  My dad told the officer it was not yet nine a.m.,  The cop said well it is by my watch to which my father replied... well I'm listening to the CBC on the radio and they have not given the nine a.m. time check yet from the Ottawa observatory which is the most accurate clock in the world.  My father then turned up his radio and said, here... listen.  Sure enough the CBC then gave the official observatory time signal for nine a.m.  The cop.. looking clearly annoyed, backed down.
That's a sort of Woody Allen moment isn't it?

November 3, 2021 8:57 pm  #7

I don't remember when they did it at 9:00 AM, but I do remember 1:00 PM. If I remember tomorrow, I'll check and dee if they still have it.

November 3, 2021 9:11 pm  #8

I believe it still is. It's been on the network since Nov. 5, 1939 - which means it's coming up to its 82nd anniversary in just two days! (I wonder how many minutes that is?)

National Research Council Time Signal

The beginning of the long dash: Happy anniversary to CBC Radio's longest running segment

November 4, 2021 12:00 am  #9

newsguy1 wrote:

I don't know if the CBC still does this but it used to give the time check based on the atomic clock at the Ottawa observatory.  My father once beat a traffic ticket because of this.  He was pulled over after making a left turn on his way to work one morning.  The cop told him he has getting a ticket for making an illegal turn after nine a.m.  My dad told the officer it was not yet nine a.m.,  The cop said well it is by my watch to which my father replied... well I'm listening to the CBC on the radio and they have not given the nine a.m. time check yet from the Ottawa observatory which is the most accurate clock in the world.  My father then turned up his radio and said, here... listen.  Sure enough the CBC then gave the official observatory time signal for nine a.m.  The cop.. looking clearly annoyed, backed down.
That's a sort of Woody Allen moment isn't it?

That could easily be a Seinfeld episode

November 4, 2021 6:37 pm  #10

Best resource for this I know of..  simple and accurate.

https://time.is/

Latency make accurate time checks almost impossible.  Unless a station wants to have fun with a stopwatch and delay system .

Last edited by ig (November 4, 2021 6:38 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 4, 2021 6:48 pm  #11

Yes they still do it at 1pm on the english stations. However it isn't necessarily bang on once it makes it to your ears. It could be delayed by up to 1 second depending on how the station you're listening to receives their network programming (satellite, stream, etc), as well as your radio. Makes me wonder if 680's tone is actually more accurate due to the lack of networking involved. 

November 4, 2021 6:59 pm  #12

Scorpio42 wrote:

I usually use CHU Canada based out of Ottawa, Ontario to set my clocks around the house. CHU transmits on shortwave at 3330 kHz, 7850 kHz and 14670 kHz.

https://nrc.canada.ca/en/certifications-evaluations-standards/canadas-official-time/nrc-shortwave-station-broadcasts-chu

Of course. 100% Canadian Content

November 6, 2021 7:48 pm  #13

I'm predicting a spike in WWV's ratings, tonight between midnight and 2:00 AM, as everyone resets their clocks.

November 6, 2021 7:56 pm  #14

When I worked in TV I'd bring in my Realistic shortwave radio, tune to WWV and sync the master clock to the place.