sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2021 9:20 am  #1

Is The Laugh Track On TV Sitcoms Officially Dead?

The article below makes the case that the artificial yuks that have been a hallmark of television sitcoms for decades have had their last laugh. 

RIP canned laughter, the most evil innovation in TV history

I also remember the story behind one of the most famous canned audience reactions in the history of the medium. It's the sound of one woman tittering a bit before loudly proclaiming "Uh oh!" It's been used in countless shows where the protagonist is about to get into a situation that's going to result in a mess of trouble.

I've read over the years that it originated from an audience member during the filming of an I Love Lucy episode - and it came out of the mouth of none other than Lucille Ball's own mother, who was in that live audience at the time. I'd hate to see that one retired. There's something so genuine about it, my ears perk up every time I hear it. 

November 5, 2021 9:37 am  #2

Re: Is The Laugh Track On TV Sitcoms Officially Dead?

A couple of weeks ago I watched SNL for the first time in years. It is supposed to be done before a live audience, but I'd swear they were using a laugh track. The laughs started and ended too abruptly to be the real thing. Besides that, there was nothing funny to laugh at.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 5, 2021 9:45 am  #3

I would think that might be hard to do in a live format, but anything's possible. And don't forget, the show airs at 11:30 PM, which I'm guessing means its audience members have been out to dinner before coming in, likely well liquored or pot smoked up before they arrive.

My guess is that will make almost anything seem funnier than it might otherwise be. 

November 5, 2021 10:42 am  #4

The sitcom itself is dead.

November 5, 2021 11:25 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

The sitcom itself is dead.

Is that a pun intended fact?  https://nypost.com/2021/10/01/new-cbs-sitcom-ghosts-adds-a-few-clever-twists/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 5, 2021 12:21 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

And don't forget, the show airs at 11:30 PM, which I'm guessing means its audience members have been out to dinner before coming in, likely well liquored or pot smoked up before they arrive. 

You'd have to be, to find much of the current SNL material laugh worthy.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 5, 2021 12:21 pm)

November 5, 2021 1:13 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I would think that might be hard to do in a live format, but anything's possible. And don't forget, the show airs at 11:30 PM, which I'm guessing means its audience members have been out to dinner before coming in, likely well liquored or pot smoked up before they arrive.

My guess is that will make almost anything seem funnier than it might otherwise be. 

SNL does a full dress rehearsal at 8:00 or 8:30 pm with a studio audience.  This dress is recorded and rolls as the back-up protection copy at 11:30 pm.  After the dress rehearsal is complete, the audience leaves, and they bring in a new audience for the Live show at 11:30 pm.

The dress lets producers see what works and what doesn't work in terms of skits. There are one or two ready in reserve to be done live if they have to).  The audience reaction (or lack of reaction) from the full dress helps producers in making their decisions. Other factors are timing...  a skit might have seemed good in the pitch/writers meetings, but drags a bit for time when seen on camera...  so they can trim or make cuts as required.

When the live show goes at 11:30 pm, it is with a fresh audience, who has not seen that evenings content... so their reaction / laughter can be genuine.  I'm not aware of SNL using a laff track or canned laughter during a broadcast, but I'm not entirely certain.

The back up copy from the 8:00 dress rolls in the event of a major problem during the Live broadcast. NBC can bail to the back-up if required to keep the show going until whatever problem is resolved. I don't recall reading or ever hearing of a situation that ever required this to occur, but at least NBC has a back-up procedure in place.

November 5, 2021 1:30 pm  #8

I rarely watch TV at all. But when I do, it's often the old sitcoms like Cheers or Corner Gas that I watch. Corner Gas doesn't use a laugh track

I like watching old Columbo shows too. But it seems like only about a half dozen of them have been preserved. They show the same ones over and over.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 5, 2021 1:42 pm  #9

turkeytop wrote:

I rarely watch TV at all. But when I do, it's often the old sitcoms like Cheers or Corner Gas that I watch. Corner Gas doesn't use a laugh track

I like watching old Columbo shows too. But it seems like only about a half dozen of them have been preserved. They show the same ones over and over.

Speaking of Corner Gas...

Fire destroys iconic grain elevator from TV show Corner Gas

November 5, 2021 2:10 pm  #10

turkeytop wrote:

https://www.solie.org/alibrary/Columbo.html    : )) ..