sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2021 3:10 pm  #1

50 Years Ago Halloween Night

Good evening from the U.K.
Hope everyone is fine over home.
Not sure if anyone recalls this radio broadcast.
50 years ago, Halloween night,  Buffalo's  WKBW  produced their adaptation of H.G. Welles'  WAR OF THE WORLDS.
KB originally aired their version back in October, 1968. An updated version hit the airwaves Sunday night October 31st. 1971.  Can't beat the original CBS RADIO MERCURY THEATRE version, Oct.31st  1938 with Orson Wells.
The 1971 KB version featured many great voices that are long gone now.
Jackson Armstrong, Jeff Kaye, 'KB newsmen Henry Brock, Joe Downey, and featured Irv Weinstein from
channel 7's Eye Witness News. Music includes Cher's GYPSIES TRAMPS AND THIEVES,   among other hits from that time, including The Grass Roots, 3 Dog Night, and Rod Stewart.
It was a superb production that, once again, caught listeners in the U.S. and Canada, offguard.
Martian craft landing on Grand Island. Certainly beat out the usual FIRE IN BUFFALO, DETAILS AT 11 !!
Funny to think..The US and China have sent space exploration craft to Mars, not the other way round..lol
I have a copy of the entire show though I cannot locate the tape. 
Perhaps someone knows if there is a copy around somewhere.
It would have made a GREAT  Sunday aircheck from Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook.
Greatest website, of its kind, that I have ever seen !

Cheers, All the best everyone.
Steve  (Northwest England)

Last edited by SteveM (October 30, 2021 3:28 pm)

October 30, 2021 7:39 pm  #2

Re: 50 Years Ago Halloween Night

It's on YouTube. Enjoy!

October 30, 2021 9:01 pm  #3

SteveM wrote:

Good evening from the U.K.
Hope everyone is fine over home.
Not sure if anyone recalls this radio broadcast.
50 years ago, Halloween night,  Buffalo's  WKBW  produced their adaptation of H.G. Welles'  WAR OF THE WORLDS.
KB originally aired their version back in October, 1968. An updated version hit the airwaves Sunday night October 31st. 1971.  Can't beat the original CBS RADIO MERCURY THEATRE version, Oct.31st  1938 with Orson Wells.
The 1971 KB version featured many great voices that are long gone now.
Jackson Armstrong, Jeff Kaye, 'KB newsmen Henry Brock, Joe Downey, and featured Irv Weinstein from
channel 7's Eye Witness News. Music includes Cher's GYPSIES TRAMPS AND THIEVES,   among other hits from that time, including The Grass Roots, 3 Dog Night, and Rod Stewart.
It was a superb production that, once again, caught listeners in the U.S. and Canada, offguard.
Martian craft landing on Grand Island. Certainly beat out the usual FIRE IN BUFFALO, DETAILS AT 11 !!
Funny to think..The US and China have sent space exploration craft to Mars, not the other way round..lol
I have a copy of the entire show though I cannot locate the tape. 
Perhaps someone knows if there is a copy around somewhere.
It would have made a GREAT  Sunday aircheck from Dale Patterson's Rock Radio Scrapbook.
Greatest website, of its kind, that I have ever seen !

Cheers, All the best everyone.
Steve  (Northwest England)

It was featured a few years ago, and has been archived in the Halloween section. The 1968 and 1973 versions are also there.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/halloween.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 30, 2021 10:21 pm  #4

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/10/30/241797346/75-years-ago-war-of-the-worlds-started-a-panic-or-did-it

turns out it didn't quite have the effect pop culture legend would have us believe

October 30, 2021 11:27 pm  #5

My favourite Halloween meme.

October 30, 2021 11:29 pm  #6

October 31, 2021 6:52 am  #7

October 31, 2021 8:42 am  #8

O.K., last one. Really.