sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2021 12:28 pm  #1

Free Online Doc Salutes 60th Anniversary Of One Of TV's Best Sitcoms

I just came across TV writer's Bill Brioux's article about the 60th anniversary of the Dick van Dyke Show, cited by most pundits as one of the greatest TV sitcoms of all time. It turns out there was a Facebook Live debut of a 90-minute documentary saluting the program that went online Saturday night. 

Fortunately, it's still there and if you have access to Facebook, it's an absolutely terrific look back in a way I've not seen before. Not only do you get memories from van Dyke and Larry Mathews (aka Ritchie Petrie) and taped impressions from creator Carl Reiner, Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam, but there are also stories from their kids, people who worked behind the scenes on the show, guest stars, the writers and even the guy who wrote that iconic theme song. (Rose Marie reveals her husband played trumpet on the soundtrack of that now legendary tune.)

If you've got an hour and half or so, it's well worth your time. I'm a big fan, and I have to say I really enjoyed this. One caveat if you're going to watch it - for some reason, they started the Facebook record early, so scan ahead to about the 38-minute mark, where it starts. 

And don't trip over the ottoman in the living room. 

The Dick van Dyke Show 60th Anniversary Salute