sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2021 7:05 am  #1

Sirius XM Is Changing Its Channels Starting Nov. 3rd

If you're a subscriber, both the 50s on 5 and the 60s on 6 are being moved - and renamed.

A Major Channel Shift Is Coming To Sirius XM

October 29, 2021 8:49 am  #2

Re: Sirius XM Is Changing Its Channels Starting Nov. 3rd

Translation:
We're making room for the Christmas channels

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 29, 2021 1:55 pm  #3

"SiriusXM Love will become an online-only offering, at Channel 708"

What happens February 14, 2022 for Valentine's day? Even if, for only a day? 
Does Love trade places with a channel for a day? Or...?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 29, 2021 2:52 pm  #4

I am a subscriber so I phoned SiriusXM Canada and was told the changes do not apply to Canada.
I find that hart to believe.  Of course, it is difficult to get any information when phoning corporations.
Try getting info from Rogers or Bell.  We'll get an answer and phone you back, they say.
The trouble is they don't say if or when they'll phone back.

October 29, 2021 3:06 pm  #5

The changes have to apply to Canada.

October 29, 2021 3:16 pm  #6

RadioAaron is right. It is virtually impossible to conceive of an instance where the same feed could be put on different channels between the two countries. Plus, they're rebranding 50s on 5 and 60's on 6 to "50's Gold" and "60's Gold." They wouldn't be doing that if they were leaving things on their current dial position. I suspect the person on the phone hasn't been informed of what's coming, as often happens.

I remember when CIAO 530 switched call letters to CHLO, the switchboard was virtually clueless when I called to find out if that was true. The next day, they discovered it was. 

I suppose we'll find out what goes where next Wednesday. (What a weird day to pick to make such a big change.)

October 29, 2021 3:47 pm  #7

Do US subscribers get the Canadian channels like CBC on SXM?

October 29, 2021 3:48 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

The changes have to apply to Canada.

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron is right. It is virtually impossible to conceive of an instance where the same feed could be put on different channels between the two countries. Plus, they're rebranding 50s on 5 and 60's on 6 to "50's Gold" and "60's Gold." They wouldn't be doing that if they were leaving things on their current dial position. I suspect the person on the phone hasn't been informed of what's coming, as often happens.

I remember when CIAO 530 switched call letters to CHLO, the switchboard was virtually clueless when I called to find out if that was true. The next day, they discovered it was. 

I suppose we'll find out what goes where next Wednesday. (What a weird day to pick to make such a big change.)

I don't doubt RadioAaron one bit, but hey? Call this number and ask what's happening to 50's on 5 or 60's on 6 and they swear there are NO changes coming November 3rd...
1-888-539-7474 (Sirius XM Canada)

October 29, 2021 4:18 pm  #9

I was an XM subscriber when they announced the pending merger with Sirius. When I called them about it they said it wouldn't have any effect for Canadian subscribers. Of course it did, for the better.

October 29, 2021 4:44 pm  #10

Every time I call into SiriusXM Canada I speak to someone in a different country and they have no idea how any of this works. I always great excellent deals though and it is usually because I tell them what my needs are and ask for the best deals and they give me the best deal on a plan that doesn't give me what I ask for, so I need to call back. Every time I do they offer me something more for less. Last time they offered me $79 for the year and it was a plan that didn't include a lot of stuff. I took it. Because they told me it would include what I needed. So they got my sale. Then I had to call back and threaten to cancel unless I got what I needed and so they gave me a much better plan for the $79 price
I saw comments on the news story that said people were angry that their 50's or 60's channel were moving to the 70's and they are angry that the channel is moving. 
I have been hoping that with a future programming change, that they move Turbo back to an online station and let Octane go back to the way it used to be. And then bring back faction as the way it used to be. Instead of a punk only channel in the online area. There is a lot of good programming on Sirius though and I am perfectly fine with these changes, as I hope it makes things better for the future. I am sure there will be good channels replace what has moved on the dial

October 29, 2021 6:02 pm  #11

It's telling how niche 50s and 60s have become that they're moving them away from prime spots and the more niche-oriented channel range, even with their perfect branding/channel number combination. I have to wonder how much longer they'll pay to have announcers on 60s Gold.

October 29, 2021 6:21 pm  #12

The change is noted on their Canadian website:
https://www.siriusxm.ca/discover-new-channel-numbers-new-channels/

Last edited by RadioAaron (October 29, 2021 6:22 pm)

October 29, 2021 6:22 pm  #13

turkeytop wrote:

Do US subscribers get the Canadian channels like CBC on SXM?

Yes.

October 29, 2021 8:29 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

It's telling how niche 50s and 60s have become that they're moving them away from prime spots and the more niche-oriented channel range, even with their perfect branding/channel number combination. I have to wonder how much longer they'll pay to have announcers on 60s Gold.

Has anyone ever listened to the 50s channel and kept score? I have. Listen for a full hour, any hour and take note of what they play. More than half of the music is hits from the 60s. And I don't mean from the few weeks or months that overlapped the two decades. It's music that came out right up to the mid sixties.

They even play the 1974 record, Clap For the Wolfman which was a parody of 1950s radio.
I sent an e mail to SXM and inquired about it. Right away I got the automated reply thanking me for my input and saying one of their people would reply within 48 hours.

After a couple of months when I still hadn't heard from them, I sent a reminder that I was still waiting for a reply. This time, the guy got right back to me with the lamest excuse you could ever imagine.

He said all of the songs played on the channel were recorded in the 1950s but most of them weren't released until the 1960s.

Right. The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones and The Guess who were all busy making records back in the 1950s

October 29, 2021 9:40 pm  #15

turkeytop wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Has anyone ever listened to the 50s channel and kept score? I have. Listen for a full hour, any hour and take note of what they play. More than half of the music is hits from the 60s. And I don't mean from the few weeks or months that overlapped the two decades. It's music that came out right up to the mid sixties.

They even play the 1974 record, Clap For the Wolfman which was a parody of 1950s radio.
I sent an e mail to SXM and inquired about it. Right away I got the automated reply thanking me for my input and saying one of their people would reply within 48 hours.

After a couple of months when I still hadn't heard from them, I sent a reminder that I was still waiting for a reply. This time, the guy got right back to me with the lamest excuse you could ever imagine.

He said all of the songs played on the channel were recorded in the 1950s but most of them weren't released until the 1960s.

Right. The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones and The Guess who were all busy making records back in the 1950s

Reading this I listened to the 50's channel for the first time just now. I have mostly listened to the Deep Tracks and sometimes 60's on 6 in the past.

Anyway I listened to five tracks on 50's on 5 and four were from the 50's but a fifth, Greasy Kid Stuff by Janine Grant, was from 1962. 

Now listening  to 60's on 6 and they have a DJ who announced the upcoming channel change. Deep Tracks is off for the weekend with something else in it's place.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 29, 2021 9:57 pm  #16

turkeytop wrote:

Huh. Interesting observation. I'm at a loss guessing why they would do that.

October 29, 2021 10:00 pm  #17

My first reaction to the change was aging demographics. The '50s and '60s channels are being moved to the nosebleed section to give the lower channels to stations with younger demographics. It's part of the slow phase-out of '50s and '60s music. My guess is that there will fewer jocks and the 300-500 song playlist will rear its ugly head.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

October 29, 2021 10:11 pm  #18

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

The '50s channel goes from 1955 to 1963, while the '60s channel leans toward the late '60s and into 1970. I reason I believe is that they want the stations to skew younger, if only slightly. Also it's a practical divide between the pre-Beatles era and the Beatles era.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (October 29, 2021 10:12 pm)

October 29, 2021 10:26 pm  #19

And what about Clap For The Wolfman? 1974.

The person who programs the channel probably wasn't even alive in the 1950s, much less remember the music.

Probably does her research on google.

October 29, 2021 11:04 pm  #20

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

The '50s channel goes from 1955 to 1963, while the '60s channel leans toward the late '60s and into 1970. I reason I believe is that they want the stations to skew younger, if only slightly. Also it's a practical divide between the pre-Beatles era and the Beatles era.

I guess The Beatles as a yardstick makes sense, though I personally disagree. Skewing younger doesn't really.

October 29, 2021 11:40 pm  #21

I am surprised  they didn't combine the '50s and '60s channels and call it Oldies Gold.

October 30, 2021 9:21 am  #22

Ale Ont wrote:

I am surprised  they didn't combine the '50s and '60s channels and call it Oldies Gold.

I could see that happening at some point.

October 30, 2021 10:23 am  #23

Maybe all this shuffling of channels is to make way for even more single artist channels. They still don't have a Tiny Tim channel or a Stompin Tom channel.

October 30, 2021 8:02 pm  #24

I have a friend who has Dish Network, the U.S. service. They carry a number of Sirius XM channels, including 50s on 5 and 60s on 6 on channels 6005 and 6006, respectively. I wonder if they'll still be there on Wednesday? 

October 31, 2021 8:50 am  #25

Why would they want to skew to a younger audience? The don't sell advertising.

Some good news buried in their release though, if you have 50's on 5 and 60's on 6 as presets...
"Channel presets on your radio should automatically change. If not, please refresh your radio to complete the update."

October 31, 2021 10:16 am  #26

zed wrote:

Why would they want to skew to a younger audience?

Some of the radios Sirius XM sells are intended for use in a car. The car dealerships...the audience THEY steer towards may have some say in this. 

October 31, 2021 4:25 pm  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

zed wrote:

Some of the radios Sirius XM sells are intended for use in a car. The car dealerships...the audience THEY steer towards may have some say in this. 

Right. The seventy-one year old might shy away from buying that new Buick if he learns that one of the channels on the radio is geared to the over seventy-five crowd.

Last edited by turkeytop (October 31, 2021 4:26 pm)

October 31, 2021 6:12 pm  #28

turkeytop wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

zed wrote:

Right. The seventy-one year old might shy away from buying that new Buick if he learns that one of the channels on the radio is geared to the over seventy-five crowd.

Exactly! There is no reason for these changes other than an executive somewhere said "let's shake thing up a little". Well, we all know how well the 'older' crowd (and I'm one of them) likes change LOL.

It reminds me of an old boss I had once who said "if it ain't broke... break it". That didn't work out so well as ratings went in the tank. 

November 1, 2021 7:41 pm  #29

It does make sense to take some stations that are skewing older to the point of becoming niche off the prime part of the lineup, but skewing the music on them younger makes no sense to me, and there's justification to keep them around for quite a while longer when there are dozens of other music stations in the lineup.

November 1, 2021 8:51 pm  #30

I don't believe there is any age group not being served by SXM. There's no need for any overlap.