sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2021 10:48 am  #1

Programming Shuffle Hits Sauga 960

I doubt most people will notice, but a huge shake-up has taken place in the Sauga960am schedule. While Mike Richards still holds onto mornings, far right stalwart Marc Patrone has been shuffled from his longtime 9 AM-noon slot to a single hour at 1 PM.

Karlene Nation moves into the 9-10 morning show period, but what comes next remains a bit of a mystery. The station's own schedule lists only blank space where that three-hour block sits. On Tuesday, they were airing ethnic foreign language programming there and I suspect that's what's going to remain once all is said and done. It's probably paid time and I believe the little Mississauga station can use every cent of income it can find. 

(IIRC, CKNT's licence said it could sell some ethnic foreign language shows, despite the objections of other such stations in the market, including CJMR, which is also licenced to Mississauga. The latter already struggling station can't be very happy about this.)

Norm Murray, who used to sit in the 1 PM slot, now finds himself toiling at 7 o'clock in the evening. 

And by the way, I noticed that SOWNY member Josh Holloway has a show on Fridays at 3 PM, if you'd like to give him a little on-air ear love. (That didn't quite come out sounding the way I thought it would, but you get the idea!)

New CKNT Schedule

October 12, 2021 10:54 am  #2

Re: Programming Shuffle Hits Sauga 960

RadioActive wrote:

I doubt most people will notice, but a huge shake-up has taken place in the Sauga960am schedule. While Mike Richards still holds onto mornings, far right stalwart Marc Patrone has been shuffled from his longtime 9 AM-noon slot to a single hour at 1 PM.

Karlene Nation moves into the 9-10 morning show period, but what comes next remains a bit of a mystery. The station's own schedule lists only blank space where that three-hour block sits. On Tuesday, they were airing ethnic foreign language programming there and I suspect that's what's going to remain once all is said and done. It's probably paid time and I believe the little Mississauga station can use every cent of income it can find. 

(IIRC, CKNT's licence said it could sell some ethnic foreign language shows, despite the objections of other such stations in the market, including CJMR, which is also licenced to Mississauga. The latter already struggling station can't be very happy about this.)

Norm Murray, who used to sit in the 1 PM slot, now finds himself toiling at 7 o'clock in the evening. 

And by the way, I noticed that SOWNY member Josh Holloway has a show on Fridays at 3 PM, if you'd like to give him a little on-air ear love. (That didn't quite come out sounding the way I thought it would, but you get the idea!)

New CKNT Schedule

They must be still working on the schedule on their site, because Marc is now showing 1-3p on my browswer.

Last edited by radiokid (October 12, 2021 10:54 am)

October 12, 2021 11:09 am  #3

radiokid wrote:

They must be still working on the schedule on their site, because Marc is now showing 1-3p on my browswer.

Error or not, at least other shows are listed and updated correctly. 
I really like how they laid things out. If you have a favourite show, it lets you click on the name so you can instantly see when they are on instead of having to scroll through the whole thing. 

I also see they chose to keep Ed the Sock. That's good entertainment. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 12, 2021 12:51 pm  #4

radiokid wrote:

Hmm, I don't recall seeing that when I went there. Well spotted! At least he's got his time back, which is good for him. Patrone can be more than a bit extreme, but his show is entertaining in short doses. Definitely not a program for you if you voted Liberal or NDP! Still, I like to hear all sides on issues which is why I occasionally monitor it, except when he has one of those over-the-top guests on (vaccine conspiracy theorists, Trump won the election types etc.) That's when he loses me.   

I'll be listening at 1 PM just to see what he says about the change. It certainly seems to have come out of the blue. 

I'm curious about this new sked and I can't help but wonder if adding the ethnic programming was the main impetus behind it. Nothing is listed between 10 AM and 1 PM, so perhaps it's either fluctuating or they haven't decided exactly what will air there. 

More to come. Just not necessarily in English.  

October 12, 2021 1:22 pm  #5

By the way, Patrone appears to have launched his own website. It's called "Newstalk Canada.

October 12, 2021 1:22 pm  #6

They will find it could actually harm their ratings (do they even subscribe?) if their intention is to put 3rd language in a prime 10a to 1p slot.    It is a total different audience than regular programming, and can act as a road block for Marc's show starting from near zero as listeners flip and take a long time to return.   

Time will tell.. I'm not against the idea, but putting 3rd language programming at 7pm, maybe a better choice to keep the momentum all day.