sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2016 7:42 pm  #1

Questions About A Couple Of Newscasters...

I just heard Corrine Van Dusen on Newstalk 1010...she is one of my favourites...I like her style...

Last time I heard Corrine she was at 680 News...

When and why the switch ??

Anybody know ??

And maybe Maybo can best answer this one but I'm wondering about long time C.P. newscaster Bill Marshall...

I don't hear Bill anymore on the evening or overnight 'casts...has he retired ??

And would it be the same "Bill Marshall" I knew and liked who worked at Broadcast News back in the '70's ??

August 4, 2016 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Questions About A Couple Of Newscasters...

unclefester wrote:

Would it be the same "Bill Marshall" I knew and liked who worked at Broadcast News back in the '70's ??

Just to be clear I'm talking about the 1970's....

August 4, 2016 8:43 pm  #3

From http://www.broadcastdialogue.com/Admin/pdf/weekly/BD%20March%2010.pdf :

"Bill Marshall, a 42-year stalwart at Broadcast News/The Canadian Press, has decided upon retirement effective April 3. For the last 37 years, Marshall has been one of the company’s newscasters. He was an original when the hourly BN Report launched in 1979. Before that, he was BN’s Queen’s Park reporter... "

August 4, 2016 8:47 pm  #4

And as for Corinne Van Dusen, her resume at https://www.linkedin.com/in/corinne-van-dusen-4369a4105 indicates that she left Rogers in May of this year.

August 4, 2016 9:21 pm  #5

I worked a brief time at BN in the mid-80s, and well remember Mr. Marshall and his "excuse me, are you reading that?" about the newspaper, something he'd say at the exact same time every single night. He was a man of ingrained habits and a nice guy. He was pretty well liked there, if only because he was one of the few who not only worked the overnight shift but wanted to do it - meaning it was unusual anyone else had to staff the graveyard gig. That's rare and I'm sure those toiling there after midnight now miss that.  

Last edited by RadioActive (August 4, 2016 9:41 pm)

August 4, 2016 9:36 pm  #6

I think Bill retired in April of this year, no?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 4, 2016 9:47 pm  #7

Yes, that's what was reported in Broadcast Dialogue. 

August 4, 2016 10:43 pm  #8

Thanks a lot everyone for your contributions...

I worked at B.N. as well for about two weeks...hated it....

And of course I remember a many staffer there but Bill Marshall stood out...

He was indeed as someone has said a good guy with a good sense of humour...at least back in the day...

We had a few laughs together that's for sure...he was my kind of guy...

And thanks for the update on Corrine...she left Rogers in May of last year ??

Man I gotta start paying attention...

Last edited by unclefester (August 6, 2016 10:18 pm)

August 4, 2016 11:10 pm  #9

The link I posted re Corinne showed her as having left Rogers in May 2016 ... and before that, the link I posted re Bill had showed him as having retired in April 2016 ... Google Fu seems to be having trouble throwing strikes here. 

August 4, 2016 11:22 pm  #10

Attended broadcasting college with Corinne. She's a pretty solid individual!

August 5, 2016 5:58 am  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

old guys probably haven't heard of the internet

Thx to Lorne's research skills, we now know that the mystery surrounding Corrine whats-her-name and Bill Somebody has been solved.    Uncle Fester can sleep comfortably.    

A happy ending

August 5, 2016 10:37 am  #12

Oh....so it was May of this year....

What year is this ??  Uh Huh....

Man I gotta start paying attention...

I just thinking of some of the old staffers at BN when I was briefly employed there...

Two names that come to mind are Dick James who ran the audio news bureau...

Russ Morgan was another long time staffer...

Hey....I wonder if Bill Marshall would lower himself to join us here on the board ??

He'd be a dandy addition and have some great stories too I'll bet...

Anybody in contact with him and willing to ask ??

August 5, 2016 10:49 am  #13

Lorne wrote:

"Bill Marshall, a 42-year stalwart at Broadcast News/The Canadian Press, has decided upon retirement effective April 3. For the last 37 years, Marshall has been one of the company’s newscasters. He was an original when the hourly BN Report launched in 1979. Before that, he was BN’s Queen’s Park reporter... "

Bill was the last of the original BNR (Broadcast News Report) announcers. The service started in January 1979.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 5, 2016 11:27 am  #14

Well I will say that I am overwhelmed by the response to this thread folks...

Thanks !!

And I am going to repeat my request that if anybody here is in touch with Bill could they ask him if he'd  be interested in joining us here on the board ??

And if they're going to do that  could they do it soon ??

According to Statistics Canada I haven't got much time left so please....let's get 'er done....

August 5, 2016 12:06 pm  #15

unclefester wrote:

Well I will say that I am overwhelmed by the response to this thread folks . . . Thanks

Keeping an ear out for Mr. Marshall, and am sure I also speak for others including Lorne and grilled.cheese who never disappoint in such matters

K.

August 5, 2016 12:22 pm  #16

I've been off the grid for a few days, but yes, Bill retired in April.  He was our rock and loved the evening/overnight shifts.  And yes, unc -- good guy and a wickedly good sense of humour!

Last edited by maybo (August 5, 2016 12:24 pm)

August 5, 2016 2:10 pm  #17

Dale Patterson wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Bill was the last of the original BNR (Broadcast News Report) announcers. The service started in January 1979.

Who were the originals?  When I worked at stations using BN, we had:
Bill Marshall, Roger Ward, Denine Grant (sp?), Bill Draper and Gerrie Smith (sp?).

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 5, 2016 3:00 pm  #18

maybo wrote:

I've been off the grid for a few days, but yes, Bill retired in April.  He was our rock and loved the evening/overnight shifts.  And yes, unc -- good guy and a wickedly good sense of humour!

So Maybo any chance we could nominate you to make the effort to see if Billy will join us here ??

We haven't had a new member register in a while now...

What you think ??

August 5, 2016 6:39 pm  #19

Jody Thornton wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Bill Marshall, Roger Ward, Denine Grant (sp?), Bill Draper and Gerrie Smith (sp?).

Aside from Bill Marshall, at the beginning there was David Lang, Bill Sipple and others that I can't remember. Ward, Grant, Draper and Smith came later.

August 5, 2016 11:22 pm  #20

You bet, Unc.  I will definitely contact him over the weekend.  Hope he joins us! 

August 6, 2016 8:35 am  #21

Fab...

Here's hoping Bill will see fit to grace us with his presence...

Love to hear some of his stories now that he is unencumbered by a job...

Of course he'd have to change some names to protect the guilty...lol...

Last edited by unclefester (August 6, 2016 8:36 am)

August 6, 2016 11:14 am  #22

Dale Patterson wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Aside from Bill Marshall, at the beginning there was David Lang, Bill Sipple and others that I can't remember. Ward, Grant, Draper and Smith came later.

I believe Will MacKenzie was another original. My recollection is that Lang did the very first BNR.

August 6, 2016 11:17 am  #23

Bill Marshall always sounded like the happiest guy ever to be at BN at 4 in the morning .    In the late 80's when I was doing overnights in Vancouver we'd pick up the reports and his time checks leading up to the top of the hour were always uplifting..  'it's yer broadcast news report for..'  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 6, 2016 8:45 pm  #24

It would be nice if some more CP-BNers posted here. I have some good memories of the place, mostly from my early years there, mid-70s to early-'80s.

August 6, 2016 10:41 pm  #25

Is there a particular reason that Bill Marshall preferred overnights?  I admit I have some good overnight radio memories, but many never sought out that shift.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 6, 2016 11:01 pm  #26

Jody Thornton wrote:

Is there a particular reason that Bill Marshall preferred overnights?  I admit I have some good overnight radio memories, but many never sought out that shift.

I preferred it because it kept my evenings free to see family and friends and participate in such activities as hockey, curling and golf. I also never saw management, and in addition got a night differential which varied from eight to 15 per cent. Twenty-five of my 35 years in the company were spent on overnights, the other 10 were on days. I avoided the evening shift like the plague. Don't know what Bill's reasons were but it should be noted that for the last half of his time there he worked an evening-overnight split - two nights (Tuesday-Wednesday) and three overnights (Thursday-Friday-Saturday).

Last edited by Dale Patterson (August 6, 2016 11:09 pm)