sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2021 11:54 am  #1

America's Favourite Streamed Canadian Show? Surprise!!

Looking at the Neilson Top 10's for television ratings, streaming, movies etc. had a big surprise.  One of the top ten shows streamed in the US is Canadian, actually it is very Canadian.  It's so popular, it shows up regularly on two top ten lists for streaming.   

CBC's Heartland in the most recent survey was the #7 streamed program in the US for acquired programming.  Acquired is naturally not produced by the streamers and is often series programming like NCIS, Chicago Med, Flash etc.  

Even more interesting, the show was the #9 most popular program for total streaming which includes original productions, movies and acquired programming.

CBC has been on a bit of a tear with Kim's Convenience, Schitts Creek and Heartland all popular with streaming south of the border. Season 15 of Heartland returns on CBC on Sunday October 17th.

See Neilson's Top Tens here..https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/   

Last edited by paterson1 (October 3, 2021 12:00 pm)

October 3, 2021 7:55 pm  #2

Re: America's Favourite Streamed Canadian Show? Surprise!!

I had no idea Heartland was so popular.

October 3, 2021 7:57 pm  #3

I hear it's popular in the...  heartland.

October 4, 2021 11:22 am  #4

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I had no idea Heartland was so popular.

Yes apparently it is in the top 10 fairly often for total streamed shows in the US.  Heartland is offered on Netflix, Prime Video and Hulu among others.  Schitt's Creek was the fifth most streamed TV show in 2020 stateside. I think that Murdoch Mysteries will likely take off for streaming in the US at some point as well.  Up until last year for some strange reason it was called the Artful Detective because it was on some Arts network.  Finally as of this year the show is promoted in the US as Murdoch Mysteries.  It is seen in 120 countries. 

October 9, 2021 11:13 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Looking at the Neilson Top 10's for television ratings, streaming, movies etc. had a big surprise.  One of the top ten shows streamed in the US is Canadian, actually it is very Canadian.  It's so popular, it shows up regularly on two top ten lists for streaming.   

CBC's Heartland in the most recent survey was the #7 streamed program in the US for acquired programming.  Acquired is naturally not produced by the streamers and is often series programming like NCIS, Chicago Med, Flash etc.  

Even more interesting, the show was the #9 most popular program for total streaming which includes original productions, movies and acquired programming.

CBC has been on a bit of a tear with Kim's Convenience, Schitts Creek and Heartland all popular with streaming south of the border. Season 15 of Heartland returns on CBC on Sunday October 17th.

See Neilson's Top Tens here..https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/   

Goodness gracious...
One has to think its appeal is from 'fly-over' country...isn't it sort of a country Y&R with more horses and less salacious intrigue (it is CBC after all)?

I must say - just flew home to visit 82 yo mom - she PVRd Open Range for us to watch - great Bobby Duvall and Kevin Costner western  

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane