sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2021 12:15 pm  #1

Virgin Radio

When bell converted a number of its radio stations to Bounce featuring classic hits from the 80s, 90s, 2000s one Sowny contributor noted that all the Bounce stations seemed to be using the same playlist, and for sure, 102.9 Hamilton and 99.5 Kitchener are.

This morning in my radio surfing I noted that two Virgin stations which I am able to listen to (CKFM 99.9 and CFCA 105.3) were also using the same playlist, including oldies. A check of some other Virgin stations online verified that others are also using the same playlist.

That being the case:
1) why do individual Virgin stations have music directors when the music and when it is played is provided by "head office".?
2) since Bell Virgin stations make up almost half of the chr stations in Canada, does that not give the Virgin stations an undue influence on the BDS and Mediabase chr charts?

September 27, 2021 1:29 pm  #2

Re: Virgin Radio

They have now shows done nationally (like mid-days) on Virgin, so my guess is during these times especially, they will share a playlist.  

September 27, 2021 1:41 pm  #3

Virgin 99.9 was playing 80s-2000s this morning?  I checked now and its still top 40 pop.

September 27, 2021 1:56 pm  #4

Looks like a standard top 40 playlist to me, as of 1:55 PM...not sure about other times.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/virginradio/toronto/1.1748215

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 27, 2021 2:19 pm  #5

I don't think Storm was meaning Virgin was playing 70's and 80's... I think he's saying Virgin is running the same CHR playlist in multi-markets...    "OLDIES" to Storm I think means anything older than a few years (based on CHR gold rules)

September 27, 2021 2:26 pm  #6

He was referring to the Bounce stations with the comment about 80s, 90s, 2000s.

September 27, 2021 8:19 pm  #7

=12px"This morning in my radio surfing I noted that two Virgin stations which I am able to listen to (CKFM 99.9 and CFCA 105.3) were also using the same playlist, including oldies. A check of some other Virgin stations online verified that others are also using the same playlist."

I guess the above statement is confusing in light of my prior comment on the Bounce stations.
To clarify- the Virgin stations are all CHR/Top 40 and the two Virgin CHR stations I can get on my radio were both playing the same Top 40 hits-both current hits and past hits-in the same order at approximately the same time. In fact it was hearing "Dilema" (not a current hit) on Virgin 99.9 and Virgin 105.3 at almost the same time that caught my attention so I switched between them to discover that they were both using the same playlist. This was during the morning shows which, except for Kitchener, are all local. Virgin K-W and Virgin London have the same morning show out of London, but which includes Kitchener personality Laura Geddes.   

September 27, 2021 10:00 pm  #8

Storm wrote:

That being the case:
1) why do individual Virgin stations have music directors when the music and when it is played is provided by "head office".?
2) since Bell Virgin stations make up almost half of the chr stations in Canada, does that not give the Virgin stations an undue influence on the BDS and Mediabase chr charts?

1) Those MDs are also on-air at every station. The programming management was already top-heavy. It's been a symbolic title for a while. They're still editing logs for timing, different regulations in different markets, and may still have some freedom for a local tweak here-or-there. They also play a role in liaising with record labels for concerts, prizing, etc, as well as communicating music oriented features and changes to announcers.

2) Sure? I don't think it matters. CHR is the format best suited to run single playlists. You really don't see regional differences in what's popular. It's not like rock where there are regional or even local favourites -- Fort MacMurray and Ottawa are culturally very different for rock, for example. 

September 28, 2021 8:22 pm  #9

Multiple times I've found two rival Toronto stations playing the same song at the same time, one is a minute or so ahead of the other, but it happens regularly.

Usually it's the high rotation hot new auto tuned to within an inch of its life single from Justin Bieber or Dua Lipa who's actually not half bad.

It's like audible vertigo to switch over and hear the very music you were trying to dodge. Doesn't do much to impress the listeners.

Last edited by betaylored (September 28, 2021 8:23 pm)

September 30, 2021 6:05 pm  #10

betaylored wrote:

Multiple times I've found two rival Toronto stations playing the same song at the same time, one is a minute or so ahead of the other, but it happens regularly.

Usually it's the high rotation hot new auto tuned to within an inch of its life single from Justin Bieber or Dua Lipa who's actually not half bad.

It's like audible vertigo to switch over and hear the very music you were trying to dodge. Doesn't do much to impress the listeners.

I suspect that neither station in that scenario is trying to impress you specifically in the first place.