sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2021 12:12 pm  #1

whats happening with g98.7 fm?

Hello.
it's past the licence dedline for neety prakash ray to takeover the station.
And intercity is still running the station.
When do you guys think neety's going to take over?
do you think he's going to change the name to cina/\?
Do you think there going to add programing in other languages like hindustani, arabic, twi and others?
My gess is that he will change the name of g to cina and have the afro-caribbian programing in evenings and arabic in the main dayparts.

September 3, 2021 12:30 pm  #2

Re: whats happening with g98.7 fm?

Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:

Hello.
it's past the licence dedline for neety prakash ray to takeover the station.
And intercity is still running the station.
When do you guys think neety's going to take over?
do you think he's going to change the name to cina/\?
Do you think there going to add programing in other languages like hindustani, arabic, twi and others?
My gess is that he will change the name of g to cina and have the afro-caribbian programing in evenings and arabic in the main dayparts.

It may be more about what there is an actual hole in the market for. 
Is Arabic in neglect currently? 
If so, you may have a point.
If not, they may try to keep the station sounding very much the same for now. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 3, 2021 12:49 pm  #3

yes.
I think the arab population is verry underserved.
The only station I know that has arabic programing is east fm in scarborough.
What I like about there arabic program is that it's in english so that us non arabs can lurn about the culture and it's a better sound then the english pop music.
I have some arab friends so I'am used to the arabic music and I love it even if I don't speak arabic.

September 3, 2021 2:11 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

To a point, sure. But I bet they'll take it out of the ratings and adopt at least some of the business model of the ethnic stations where programming it brokered to and by hosts.

September 3, 2021 3:16 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

To a point, sure. But I bet they'll take it out of the ratings and adopt at least some of the business model of the ethnic stations where programming it brokered to and by hosts.

Noting that when I said "hole in the market", I was not hinting at Country music, but indeed more toward your well made point.
They can still do the current format and broker though, no?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 3, 2021 5:22 pm  #6

Unless you have insider info... It is very possible intercity technically is now 100% controlled by Neety and they just haven't dissolved the Intercity corp yet.      Intercity only owned G987 so it is very possible the corp name went with the sale.   As for programming, because it's an ethnic license, with LOADS of conditions on music and focus, I have a feeling you will not see another mainstream format like "Country" or another "POP" station.   I also question the need for another multi-cultural station with the same brokered format.     Doesn't mean they won't have brokered time.. but It's doubtful they would abandon their Black and Caribbean focus for majority of the programming, unless there isn't a business case for it... which is doubtful.     The brokered stations in the area have huge overlap in languages now, which has more to do with who's buying the time vs what the stations want to do.  Flipping G to a brokered format will likely mean the same thing, on yet another station to hoping to hit Arabic and other underserved, may still not be possible if the shows buying do not have the money. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 3, 2021 5:36 pm)

September 29, 2021 2:04 pm  #7

Found out this morning Mark & Jem: G's morning show has been canned. Possibly some other on-air positions too. Looks like the new ownership is taking effect.

September 29, 2021 2:54 pm  #8

G98.7's Instagram page hasn't been updated for 2 weeks, yet hosts such as Red in the midday and Spex in the afternoon still remains at the station for now.

The new manager of the station is Gary Gunter, who worked previously in the United States as the vice-president of the black-owned Radio One and other few urban radio stations in the States. Therefore I believe the mandate for G98.7 serving Black Canadians won't be affected in a long term, under the promise of the new owner.

Here's a link to look into for the latest developments of the station. https://reggaenorthca.com/a-new-era-begins-at-g98-7-fm/

September 29, 2021 3:58 pm  #9

Adrian106072 wrote:

G98.7's Instagram page hasn't been updated for 2 weeks, yet hosts such as Red in the midday and Spex in the afternoon still remains at the station for now.

The new manager of the station is Gary Gunter, who worked previously in the United States as the vice-president of the black-owned Radio One and other few urban radio stations in the States. Therefore I believe the mandate for G98.7 serving Black Canadians won't be affected in a long term, under the promise of the new owner.

Here's a link to look into for the latest developments of the station. https://reggaenorthca.com/a-new-era-begins-at-g98-7-fm/

Due to the license limitations as an "ethnic" class, they will NEVER be able to flip it to be true urban, or some huge commercial property.   "Ethnic" licenses require them to air set amounts of  world/non commercial music, hit/non-hits, etc. etc. etc.   In exchange they get a break on Cancon.    They are limited to be focused on the Black & Caribbean community or flip to be a multi-cultural, post agreed conditions on the license.   If they tried to justify any other move to a full time commercial format like Urban or Urban AC, it would require CRTC approval.    Unlike Flow which NEVER was an ethnic license, they had been always free to do whatever they liked past any conditions set by the CRTC (which at the end there was none) 

I just don't see them in anyway just flipping to something mainstream, but could go into multi-cultural.   They brought in an sales focused manager to try and turn the ship around to sell it and make money, but they will always have a limit on programming BECAUSE of the class of license they have.    

September 30, 2021 10:57 am  #10

Update on the format on CKFG.
they have a new slogen "great music is what we do"
They have new hoasts for evenings and mornings.
At the top of the hour, insted of saying intercity broadcasting they are saying a divisian of Cina radio group.
and now they have more of a focus on caribbian and afrobeat music and less of a focus on R&B and urban AC music.
I even heard a slogen "your caribbian music station.
and the 2 new weakday hoasts sound like thear born in the caribbian insted of being born in canada.
To me, the station has more of a real ethnic/afrocaribbian sound now the cina took it over.
hope they put ethnic programing on an hd subchannel if the appli for hd

September 30, 2021 1:05 pm  #11

Exactly what I figured would happen....   They haven't been in compliance music wise in a long time... so I figured there would be a shift away from URBAN AC and go more traditional focus to better fit the license requirements.   It will for sure has less of a broad appeal and likely a loss in broad focused advertisers, but fill a hole not currently offered by multi-cultural radio.   It also may allow some brokered airtime. 

While I'm a strong believer that a true full time commercial URBAN AC could work well in Toronto, it just can't be done with an "ethnic" license and all the restrictions.  It needs a station with a full commercial license.   Should Flow not be profitable currently, shifting to an Urban AC may age the station some and shift to a more profitable demo (25-54) vs their current 18-34

September 30, 2021 5:59 pm  #12

I love thear new format better then the old one.
But I like caribbian and afrobeat music even if I'am in thear demo.

September 30, 2021 6:03 pm  #13

radiokid wrote:

Exactly what I figured would happen....   They haven't been in compliance music wise in a long time... so I figured there would be a shift away from URBAN AC and go more traditional focus to better fit the license requirements.   It will for sure has less of a broad appeal and likely a loss in broad focused advertisers, but fill a hole not currently offered by multi-cultural radio.   It also may allow some brokered airtime. 

They'll have to. There's no reason for the station to be in Numeris now.