sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2021 8:38 pm  #1

Will Tampa Bay Rays Games Find A Home On Montreal Radio?

It could happen, if the team carries through with a plan to split its home and playoff games between the Florida city and Montreal next year. If so, are the Jays games carried there? Would they object? 

Rays to advertise Montreal plan with sign at the Trop during postseason

September 25, 2021 9:49 pm  #2

Re: Will Tampa Bay Rays Games Find A Home On Montreal Radio?

Wouldn’t be surprised if they end up on TSN 690, at least in English.

I don’t know if Steve Faguy lurks here but he’ll probably be the first to know if that happens.

September 25, 2021 10:31 pm  #3

TV rights would be interesting too. How did it work before? Were they regionalized? If I'm the Montreal "Expo Rays" I wouldn't want Jays games airing nationally anymore. There's no way they could gain fans if Jays games are still on-air at the same time the new team is playing.

September 26, 2021 9:00 am  #4

I could be wrong, but it just seems like The Rays are looking for a new stadium/deal in Tampa...  a couple of broad overtures about splitting the franchise over a couple of markets...  

September 26, 2021 5:13 pm  #5

As I watched the game today it occurred to me - professional baseball is the sport most in-tune with the Millennial psyche. Played by lazy pussies for an audience of lazy pussies.

September 26, 2021 11:22 pm  #6

If I remember, the TV rights worked like this.  Each team was allowed to broadcast a dozen or so games into each others market.
The rest of the telecasts were regional.   
However, in those days, not all games were televised.
In radio it was simple.  No stations were allowed in each others market.
The exception was CKAR Oshawa which was a charter member of the Expos network.
Once they dropped the Expos affiliation, that was it.

September 26, 2021 11:42 pm  #7

Chrisphen wrote:

As I watched the game today it occurred to me - professional baseball is the sport most in-tune with the Millennial psyche. Played by lazy pussies for an audience of lazy pussies.

This is the dumbest post I have seen in a long long time
Baseball is tailor-made for old people. The game is slow and old people like slow things.
Millennials want instant gratification. They aren’t watching baseball and baseball knows it.
They watch short clips on social media if they watch it at all. I hope you aren’t targeting millennials in anything you do because you have no clue, gramps.

September 26, 2021 11:49 pm  #8

Mike Wilner, now of the Toronto Star, weighs in and says as much as this feels like a ploy to blackmail Tampa authorities for a new stadium, he thinks this may actually happen. 

The Tampa Bay Rays have teased Montreal baseball fans before. But this time feels different

September 29, 2021 6:39 pm  #9

It seems the idea has generated some bad feelings and the sign will not go up.

Rays change course, won't display Montreal sign at Trop during playoffs (sportsnet.ca)