sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2021 11:29 am  #1

The Ongoing Mystery Of LiteRadio.ca

There has been a spot running repeatedly on YesTV (I've never seen it anywhere else) for an online music station called "LiteRadio.ca." The commercial shows a series of graphics that boast "Playing all your lite favourites" and has a soundtrack that includes the likes of Lionel Richie and other staples of the genre. 

I'm not sure how often this short spot runs on the station, but I've seen it for at least the last two weeks. 

The problem? For that same 14-day period, I've tried the website, Literadio.ca, and found only a GoDaddy page that tells me the domain is available and is being parked on their server, presumably until somebody buys it. 

Why would anyone advertise an online site that clearly either never existed or no longer does? Does anyone know anything about who's behind "LiteRadio.ca" and what happened to it? I know these things come and go on the net, but to continually advertise something on TV that doesn't exist seems bizarre - not to mention pointlessly expensive. 

What's Advertised:

What's Actually There:

LiteRadio.ca

September 26, 2021 11:50 am  #2

Re: The Ongoing Mystery Of LiteRadio.ca

The domain is owned by Evanov.

I'm guessing it's going to be a landing page for all their LITE stations, but it's not up yet since 88.5 has yet to flip.

How they mucked up the timing of the commercial though is another matter

September 26, 2021 12:09 pm  #3

If that's the case, why does GoDaddy's site say the domain is up for sale? What would happen if someone, as the site says, opted to "get this domain?"

The whole thing is very strange.

September 26, 2021 12:18 pm  #4

I think I just answered my own question. I clicked on "get this domain" and saw this, (which appears to indicate that it isn't available after all.) Although the "We still might be able to get it for you" message is certainly intriguing...

September 26, 2021 12:25 pm  #5

That's generic messaging that Go Daddy displays for any domain that has been registered but not yet it use. Stands to reason that someone who buys a domain but then doesn't use it may be willing to sell it.

You can see a domain's registration status here:
https://www.whois.com/whois/literadio.ca

Last edited by RadioAaron (September 26, 2021 12:26 pm)

September 26, 2021 12:45 pm  #6

I've never had to purchase a domain, so I wasn't familiar with the process. And I'd completely forgotten about "Who is," which I haven't been to in years. 

What I still don't get is why they're waiting for the final "Jewel" in their crown to be rebranded. With so many of their other stations already going towards the Lite, why not just activate the thing and add CKDX later (if, in fact, a rebranding there is coming)?  There are no actual radio stations mentioned in the spot. In fact, it makes it seem like a totally online entity. 

And, as noted, why prematurely advertise something that doesn't exist? 

What an odd company Evanov can sometimes be. 

September 26, 2021 2:50 pm  #7

Pure speculation here, but I believe 88.5 specifically has a third party involved in its ownership structure, and there may be some internal wrangling about the change.

As for the spot, it would certainly be airing in error, and nobody at Evanov has watched enough YES TV to notice. It'll get fixed now because of this thread.

September 26, 2021 3:04 pm  #8

I'll let you know. It's appeared in the exact same slot before the end credits of "Joan of Arcadia," a rare rerun I actually watch, every Saturday night for the past two weeks. I'll be recording it again in six days and see if it's there.  

September 26, 2021 4:34 pm  #9

For all we know it could be a Yes TV error more than an Evanov error. 
Evanov perhaps may have cancelled the spots, fully refunded and all, but Yes TV in error may have chosen to air them anyway. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 27, 2021 10:18 am  #10

It should stay as Jewel.  Lite is so generic its not even funny.   It wouldnt want to make me even tune in because id already know the whole boring playlist.

September 27, 2021 10:05 pm  #11

markow202 wrote:

It should stay as Jewel.  Lite is so generic its not even funny.   It wouldnt want to make me even tune in because id already know the whole boring playlist.

Boring playlists are better for ratings. And having the same name allows them to run spots like this which may not be an efficient use of marketing dollars on a station-by-station basis.

September 28, 2021 9:02 am  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Boring playlists are better for ratings

Not anymore. Er, tweaked, maybe, but newer ideas might work better.

September 30, 2021 6:06 pm  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Boring playlists are better for ratings

Not anymore. Er, tweaked, maybe, but newer ideas might work better.

Yes, still. It's pretty much universal.

October 1, 2021 1:23 pm  #14

It has happened. Jewel 88.5 is now LITE 88.5

October 1, 2021 1:40 pm  #15

October 1, 2021 5:00 pm  #16

I suppose this means that the spot running on Yes TV will now be there this weekend. 

Interesting that in their revamped schedule, it still shows Ashby's Oldies Show airing from 4-7 PM on Saturday. A repeated promo last week was insistent that it was no longer going to be heard in that slot. Should be interesting to see what airs there. 

Lite 88.5 Program Schedule 

By the way, the LiteRadio.ca site that started this thread is now officially up and running - although 88.5 has yet to be added. There are also some backward logos on display, which seems weird. 

LiteRadio.ca