sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2021 8:14 pm  #1

Prolific Canadian Guitarist Dies At 72

Before reading his obit, I have to admit I'd never heard of Bobby Edwards. But after looking at it, he leaves quite an impressive legacy. Not only was he an in-demand session musician, he also appeared frequently on the CBC. And then there's his connection to something equally legendary - The Friendly Giant. 

From the obit:

"He began his career at 15, and became one of Canada's most recorded studio guitarists. Composer, arranger, and performer, Bobby worked with artists including Norm Amadio, Gordon Lightfoot, Glen Campbell, Anne Murray, Kim Mitchell, Oscar Peterson, Henry Mancini, Kenny Rogers, and Ella Fitzgerald. In the 1970s and 80s he was the go-to guitarist for the CBC, and provided instrumentals for the beloved character "Rusty" on the Friendly Giant."

Bobby Edwards obituary

September 25, 2021 9:04 pm  #2

Re: Prolific Canadian Guitarist Dies At 72

I found a sample of his work on YouTube. It starts at around the 2:54 mark. Perhaps what's most interesting about the page where it appears is a comment from a familiar radio name: Fred Napoli. It was left there six years ago. 

Fred Napoli comment:

"Bobby and I formed a song writing partnership just after this lp came out. We wrote a number of songs together, many of them recorded by Laurie Bower Singers. Bobby was in constant demand for studio gigs, television shows and accompanied the stars that came through. He deserves to be more well known and appreciated."