sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2021 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Allan Slaight dead at 90

I hope that the Board Moderator and all of the regulars will indulge me. This is a personal recollection and an obit in praise of the amazing Allan Slaight. This seemed like a good place for it.

I was Radio Division President when Allan Slaight bought Standard Broadcasting from the Black Brothers and public shareholders. We got along quite well for awhile...and then not so much. The common industry gossip was that, after 22 years, I'd wind up out at some point because Allan had a son, Gary, who was pretty damn good at radio. That was prophetic and on the day we came to a mutual conclusion to part company, I hated him.

As time went on, however, I came to understand what a brilliant businessman and radio entrepreneur Allan was...in a class by himself, actually. He didn't have bags of money like Astral's Greenberg Family or Ted Rogers...Allan earned his way into the top echelon of broadcasting by being plugged in and  incredibly adept at seeing and seizing opportunity. About 3 or 4 years after I left, I had difficulty in a business I'd started and I needed advice. I thought of only one person who'd be able to offer it and that was Allan. I called him and he immediately invited me up to his office. He told me a story of mortgaging his suburban house to invest in CFGM Richmond Hill and it resonated and made me go back to work and drive that little business along, ultimately becoming a big business which I eventually sold.

I was reincarnated at CFRB by Steve Kowch but based directly on Gary Slaight's approval...but I wasn't senior management anymore...I again became "on air talent", a talk show host, still am. It's been over 50 years since I first pressed the microphone on button at a 50kW radio station and I still love it. A lot of that was the product of mentoring by the late and amazing H.T. "Mac" McCurdy but much of it was through simply watching Allan Slaight be Allan Slaight. He will always stand as one-of-a-kind in Canadian radio and a giant in the rough-and-tumble world of entrepreneurship. He worked hard and now deserves to rest in peace.

September 20, 2021 5:50 pm  #3

Thanks for those memories, Peter. And no, not only don't I mind, I would encourage others to come forward with their own reminiscences about this broadcast pioneer if they wish. I never got to work for him, but boy, if you were in the biz at any local radio station, you certainly heard and knew that name. 

Tom McConnell, the afternoon host at CKTB in St Catharines, did a full 15-minute tribute to Slaight on his show Monday, recalling how when he was at CJBK in London, the place had gone through several owners until Slaight bought it. He said the company turned the place around, improved not only the ratings but the working conditions for everyone and generally left a much better radio station behind. 

I'm not sure there would be a Q-107 without the Slaights and the fact that the family turned into major philanthropists who gave away millions is a sign of not only their success but their personal character. Given the state of the industry today, I very much doubt we will see his like again. 

September 20, 2021 5:52 pm  #4

Really appreciate being able to read this Peter, thanks for sharing it.

I didn't know or work with Mr. Slaight, but I did work with a couple top notch on-air radio people who did, and loved hearing their war stories of the good times from not so long ago, when radio stations were owned by human beings, not faceless corporations.

Last edited by betaylored (September 20, 2021 5:54 pm)

September 20, 2021 7:51 pm  #5

I worked for Allan three times in my career; under sons Greg and Gary.  One night at a social gathering he said; in front of a few people, "John, do you know why we keep hiring you?"  I looked at him, and he said, "Because we like your wife."  He gave out a big laugh.

When I went into the Hall of Fame in 2013 I said the following.  "I am proud to have worked for the Waters family and the Slaight family.  For those of you who have never worked for a broadcasting family, I can only hope you can get th4e chance one day."  Very, very different from working for corporations.

Last edited by John D (September 20, 2021 7:53 pm)

September 20, 2021 11:14 pm  #6

The world has lost a legendary broadcaster and one helluva sharp businessman.  

September 21, 2021 1:20 pm  #7

Never worked for him, but I admired the fact that the Slaight family have embraced many philanthropic causes.  Aside from Allan's business acumen, his financial endowments have really benefitted people.  I'm not aware of some other broadcast families who made fortunes in Canadian broadcasting, having made similar contributions, though I believe the Rogers family have been very proactive.

September 23, 2021 5:27 pm  #8

John D wrote:

I worked for Allan three times in my career; under sons Greg and Gary.  One night at a social gathering he said; in front of a few people, "John, do you know why we keep hiring you?"  I looked at him, and he said, "Because we like your wife."  He gave out a big laugh.

When I went into the Hall of Fame in 2013 I said the following.  "I am proud to have worked for the Waters family and the Slaight family.  For those of you who have never worked for a broadcasting family, I can only hope you can get th4e chance one day."  Very, very different from working for corporations.

You are so right John!  I was fortunate enough to have worked at Citytv when the Waters family owned it.  The difference I found was, family owned businesses treated you like a human being.  Corporations treat you like a liability.

September 25, 2021 9:14 pm  #9

Nice tribute to Slaight in the Financial Post:

"Under Slaight, CHUM-AM emerged as the dominant player in the Canadian market. Rock-and-roll history was made.

“Allan had this knack for recognizing talent,” [professional magician David] Ben said. “Him hiring [CHUM Promotions Manager] Allen Farrell was like Lennon and McCartney hooking up before Lennon and McCartney had actually met each other.”

“Those two guys transformed rock-and-roll radio in North America.”

The Magic of Allan Slaight: How an amateur magician became a business legend 

September 30, 2021 7:28 am  #10

SOWNY member and legendary radio producer Doug Thompson has penned a terrific tribute to the man who helped start his career. There are a ton of comments from the likes of John Donabie, Peter Shurman, Chuck McCoy, Al Mair and more. But perhaps my favourite story is one I'd never heard before. 

It involves how Keith Hampshire wound up working at CKFH in the early 70s - and why he may not have been there if not for Allan Slaight at CHUM.

“I first met Allan when he came to help run ‘Radio Caroline’.  He entrusted this snotty-nosed kid from Calgary with the breakfast show which had one of the largest audiences in England’s history.  When the Government closed the ships in August of 1967, I made my way to Toronto and later realized Allan was here too.  Soon I was in a quandary, do I accept a swing shift offered by CHUM or afternoons at CKFH?  Allan suggested that at 21 years of age, I would have more fun at CKFH.  He was so right!!  Thank you for believing in me, guiding me and leading me in the right direction.  I could never thank you enough.”

Personal Recollections About the Genius Of Mr. Allan Slaight

October 4, 2021 9:14 am  #11

Gary Slaight has penned a brief open letter to his late dad, which you can read on FYIMusicNews.ca below. 

A Letter To My Father

December 19, 2021 2:29 pm  #12

I'm not sure why this was put up so late, but on Dec. 15, this video was posted to YouTube. It's a tribute to the late radio giant by someone who benefited greatly by his support of Canadian artists - Andy Kim. The speech appears to have been recorded at Massey Hall, based on some of the statements made in the piece.

It appeared online on an unlisted YouTube page, but you can see it below. 

December 19, 2021 4:16 pm  #13