sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 20, 2021 10:01 am  #1

New Book On Canada's Intro To Rock 'N Roll Pays Tribute To Local DJs

FYIMusicNews.ca has a review of a new book called "Hawkins, Hound Dog, Elvis and Red: How Rock and Roll Invaded Canada," which also pays tribute to the pioneering DJs who helped launch the music. (Hence the "Red" in the title, as in Robinson and "The Hound Dog", as in George Lorenz.)

The story is more about the bands that brought rock to Toronto stages, but one revelation is that Lorenz of WKBW and later WBLK Buffalo fame, was behind a concert circuit that brought many acts north of the border. 

In another excerpt, the book reveals that CHUM's Duff Roman was very busy between on-air shifts. 

"An indefatigable Roman, meanwhile, teamed up with promoter Ron Scribner and organized summer sock hops for teenagers in cottage country north of Toronto. When he wasn’t on the air at CKEY or releasing the first recordings by David Clayton-Thomas, the Paupers and Levon & the Hawks, Roman was swooping into locations like Wasaga Beach and Port Carling and hosting dances before rushing back to the Toronto for his on-air duties. Said Roman: “I’d be in Bala on a Saturday night and be on the radio on Sunday morning welcoming everyone home from the cottage.”

Also interviewed: esteemed SOWNY member David Marsden, who back then was chattering a mile a minute on early Top 40 radio as Dave Mickie.

"Mickie was clocked at talking a dizzying 700 words per minute. “I was speaking at a speed even I couldn’t follow,” Marsden admits today.

New Book Explores How Rock & Roll First Came To Canada