sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2021 7:02 pm  #1

Just like AM and the CD, Colour is Leaving Vehicles

Not really broadcast related, but what is the deal with the colour of cars and trucks?  They seem to be only White (which isn't really a colour), Black, Grey or Silver, some Red and the odd Blue.  All of the colours on new vehicles whatever you see seem to be pastel or creamy coloured which Subaru has been using for a few years. BLEECHHT    What happened to the nice burgundy, brown or green with some fleck so it really shined?  Just like the AM radio and CD in vehicles, the colour choices for new cars and trucks seems to be fading away or very limited.  Does everyone really like grey and black or white that much?  Or is it what the makers are offering.  And the creamy versions of these colours..UGLY..IMHO..
https://s.aolcdn.com/os/ab/_cms/2021/09/14165441/2022-Volkswagen-Taos-car-seat-test-04.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">

Last edited by paterson1 (September 17, 2021 7:04 pm)

September 17, 2021 7:31 pm  #2

Re: Just like AM and the CD, Colour is Leaving Vehicles

The best are the matte primer grey ones. I'm assuming they are sold at a significant discount (since the buyer would have to finish the job themselves).

September 18, 2021 9:00 pm  #3

I've been noticing that for years. Grey, silver, brown.

They're all available in a variety of colours but the dealers prefer to keep inoffensive, neutral colours in stock. Some buyers might love a yellow car and some may hate a red car. But most buyers will settle for a silver or grey car if it's available today.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 18, 2021 9:06 pm  #4

September 18, 2021 9:10 pm  #5

Actually (and to steer this back to a more SOWNY-esque angle) what really drives (no pun intended) me crazy are the increasingly complex menus and screens in new cars. It used to be you had a volume control, a channel changer and a display with the frequency, and perhaps the time and temperature on it. That was it.

Now there's a mini-computer screen right with a dozen or more menus in front of your eyes while you're driving. And they seem to be getting more and more complex and elaborate every year. At a time when it's illegal to watch a TV screen when you're in the driver's seat, who thought this was a good idea? 

September 18, 2021 9:19 pm  #6

My 2020 Equinox has a message that shows up on the screen from time to time telling me to keep my eyes on the road. Of course, I have to take my eyes off the road to read the message.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 18, 2021 9:21 pm  #7

paterson1 you bring up a good point.  Over the years I have had cars of different colours.  My current vehicle is white.  It was the only colour they had; on the lot, and I would have to wait some time to get another colour.

Now my point is, that when you do have a white car, you start to notice other white vehicles.  I can't believe how many are out there.  I don't mind the colour anymore.

September 19, 2021 9:53 am  #8

John D... I bought my first white vehicle a year ago and you're right, you start to notice how many others are on the road.

And on the technology... I took my first road trip since the pandemic started  a few weeks ago and after several hours on the highway the screen on my 2021 Hyundai suggested I might want to pull over and take a rest LOL. Interstingly, I was just about to do that anyway.