sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2021 5:47 pm  #1

Available Canadian Call Letter List Contains Some Familiar IDs

This has been around a while, but if you've never seen it, it's a fun timewaster. It's the government list of available call letters for Canadian radio stations.

Note that previously used letters, like CHOG, CHWO, CIAO, CJRN, CFYZ and CKFH are all back in play. I'm surprised C-HIT is still around, but I suppose it could easily be pronounced another way that's a lot less flattering. 

See the long list here. 

September 17, 2021 7:10 pm  #2

Re: Available Canadian Call Letter List Contains Some Familiar IDs

Interesting that CFUK and CFUC aren't on this list, yet I don't believe are being used! CKKK and CFAG are available though!  ;) 

They should probably treat these like license plates and not allow certain ones to be used 

September 17, 2021 7:34 pm  #3

torontostan wrote:

Interesting that CFUK and CFUC aren't on this list, yet I don't believe are being used! CKKK and CFAG are available though!  ;) 

They should probably treat these like license plates and not allow certain ones to be used 

CFUQ is available though. CJAP is another one that's surprising to see on this list too. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

September 18, 2021 12:30 am  #4

You'd think CFLQ would be off-limits too.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 18, 2021 3:59 am  #5

I gather CKNT would be on that list if it were not already in use in Mississauga?  
I see CFUX is available... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 18, 2021 4:11 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 18, 2021 11:28 am  #6

So, can anyone making an application for a license request any of these call letters, or will one of them just be assigned to them?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 18, 2021 1:01 pm  #7

The licensee gets to request them. As noted in the comments above, there are no guidelines as to appropriateness.  So while you can't request certain combinations for your vanity license plate, you can request them (and repeat them at least hourly in accordance with identification rules) if you are a broadcaster.