sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2016 6:59 pm  #1

BOOM 107?

If anyone has been following the evolution of Q in recent months, it's becoming more evident they seem to be chasing a piece of BOOM's pie. Such previously off-limits tunes such as Cars - Gary Numan, Heart of Glass - Blondie, All I Wanna Do - Sheryl Crow and now Jessie's Girl from Rick Springfield are just a few examples. That and the last slogan "Toronto's Rock" has been gradually replaced with "Great Hits & Real Classics". That's three different positioning statements in just over two years. Is the next step in the evolution an eventual name change to BIG-FM?

August 2, 2016 7:04 pm  #2

Re: BOOM 107?

I can see that for sure at Q107 calgary and Rock 101 Vancouver. I have also thought if they decide to pull the plug on 103.9 Woodstock/London then they will go to Big Fm. Maybe Boom in one of the formats they will change to also but I see a Big expansion of the big brand. I doubt Q107 in Toronto will because of the brand recognition

August 2, 2016 7:16 pm  #3

To be fair, "Cars" was played on Q-107 in April 1980 when it was popular.  We were in a Magic Mart convenience store in Cayuga during the afternoon and mom got us Hostess Ketchup chips that day.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

August 2, 2016 7:20 pm  #4

brian451 wrote:

I doubt Q107 in Toronto will because of the brand recognition

There have already been rumours of a BIG 108 or Big 107 coming soon, but not both. 

The "Q" name is not strong enough in a cookie cutter world, but then again, "Y" might also be weaker.
It's hard to know  what to expect in the near future.
I do not see both stations becoming BIG FM. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 2, 2016 7:23 pm  #5

The same library is being used at BIG Barrie and Kingston, ROCK 101 Vancouver, Q107 Toronto and Calgary....but I don't see a re-brand happening in Vancouver or Toronto. The brands are too strong.

The London thing makes a lot of sense though.

August 2, 2016 9:47 pm  #6

Q might as well try a name change. They've tried everything else.

August 2, 2016 11:39 pm  #7

mikew wrote:

Q might as well try a name change. They've tried everything else.

I have to agree. A name change will draw better attention, however, Don brings up a good point that "Q" is holding on as strong branding. The other rumour of a Y108 change to Big 108 makes more sense...

August 3, 2016 12:41 am  #8

Jody Thornton wrote:

To be fair, "Cars" was played on Q-107 in April 1980 when it was popular.  We were in a Magic Mart convenience store in Cayuga during the afternoon and mom got us Hostess Ketchup chips that day.

Yes Q has played the Cars through the years. Certain tracks for sure and now they might be expanding on those or playing different ones. The one group they NEVER played during their long rock era was the Barenaked Ladies.but I see them on the playlist now.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 3, 2016 12:55 am  #9

Fitz wrote:

The one group they NEVER played during their long rock era was the Barenaked Ladies.but I see them on the playlist now.

Easy Can Con filler. 

August 3, 2016 1:57 pm  #10

I can see corus spreading the Big branding and possibly even the boom name to other stations. Kind of like the fresh branding.

August 3, 2016 6:12 pm  #11

brian451 wrote:

I can see corus spreading the Big branding and possibly even the boom name to other stations. Kind of like the fresh branding.

That is exactly what I see as their master plan given the way they have put the BIG and FRESH stamps in several markets. In some cases the FRESH format was applied in a market where the format was already well represented. Diversity no longer seems to matter as long as a brand can translate into $$. 
I add my vote to those who say that Y108 is a more likely candidate to become BIG although the illuninatti at Corus could also decide that a brand reset at Q would provide the numbers boost they're seeking.

August 3, 2016 9:38 pm  #12

Q107 is a strong brand, but it's a brand that comes with a lot of baggage, at least in the Toronto market. It's a brand that has come to mean dependability and consistency, but its brand has also built an audience that is extremely reluctant to change (just check out the comments on their website under Playlist from 2014 from when they went from Classic Rock to Toronto's Rock Station and you'll see what I mean). Needless to say, that hinders growth when the audience believes that a set of call letters should stand for something. A rebranding might be what the station needs.

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

August 3, 2016 10:11 pm  #13

Q-Country 107

August 4, 2016 12:20 am  #14

mikew wrote:

Q-Country 107

If that were doable the Q would be dropped in a heartbeat and it would be Country 107 with the London Ontario playlist tossed on... http://www.country104.com/