sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2021 9:04 am  #1

CHML To Join "GNR" Branding Tuesday. But What Took So Long?

Thanks to the poster who alerted me to this impending more permanent change at CHML, starting Tuesday. I can't figure out what took them so long, given their counterparts in Toronto altered the brand ages ago. (But what a weird way to announce it - "A change for the better?" Truth is it won't affect programming or listeners in any real way.)

Still nothing from CFPL in London. Are they next on the GNR train?

September 6, 2021 9:23 am  #2

Re: CHML To Join "GNR" Branding Tuesday. But What Took So Long?

CHML revamping daytime programming | The Bay Observer

https://bayobserver.ca/2021/09/03/chml-revamping-daytime-programming/

September 6, 2021 9:37 am  #3

I believe CFPL 980 made the change quite a while ago..

September 6, 2021 10:10 am  #4

Well that sucks. I thought they were smart doing a news wheel as much as they could. 
I guess Hamilton doesn't want one? 
Ratings were bad? WOW! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 6, 2021 10:14 am  #5

paterson1 wrote:

I believe CFPL 980 made the change quite a while ago..

Do they ID themselves on air as GNR980? I know whenever they get referred to on 640, it's as CFPL AM980 and not with the GNR branding. To me, it's not official unless it's the way they talk about themselves on air. I've never quite understood why they didn't launch this thing on every station at the same time. 

September 6, 2021 10:40 am  #6

67GreenRambler wrote:

CHML revamping daytime programming | The Bay Observer

https://bayobserver.ca/2021/09/03/chml-revamping-daytime-programming/

So essentially, they're saving money by simulcasting Alan Carter's noon show on 640, followed by Jeff McArthur's local efforts to Hamilton. More consolidation within an industry that's seeing too much of it. I wonder if the two Toronto hosts will be forced to alter their content to make it more generic now that there's a pair of different cities involved?

So far, CFPL appears untouched, but with Alex Pierson's show already there at night, could there be more simulcasting changes at 980 coming, too?

September 6, 2021 10:45 am  #7

Yes they do for their newscasts, and local talk shows.   However during their excellent oldies show with Dick Williams on Saturday and Sunday, they revert back to channel 98, radio 98 and of course 980 CFPL.  During the simulcast with Bill Kelly out of CHML, he calls them just 980 CFPL.  But the produced breaks during Bill's show say Global News Radio 980 CFPL.  I have never heard them referred to on AM 640, but other than Oakley once in a while I don't listen to 640.  Could be that during a show that the host can just say the call letters rather than the whole official title.  It is a rather wordy heading to say every time during the banter of a show, so there could be some discretion for the host, which is not unheard of.  

September 6, 2021 11:19 am  #8

Corus only went all-in with the GNR branding in Toronto and one of their Edmonton AMs; stations where call letters weren't previously used as the brand. The rest of the news/talk AMs had long-used their call letters as their brands and continue to do so, with GNR serving more as a tagline.

September 6, 2021 1:47 pm  #9

I'm confused. They have been calling themselves Global News Radio for a while. It used to be "Hamilton's News Talk Leader AM 900 CHML". Now it's usually "Global News Radio 900 CHML".

And reading the story from The Bay Observer, what's happening with Scott Thompson? Says Noon to 3, which is his current slot, but also says Alan Carter at Noon, and Jeff McArthur from 1 to 3. The story says Scott Thompson will host afternoon drive. Do they mean Scott Thompson will host 3 to 6? Usually it's a news wheel at that time.

And will they been news updates from 3 to 6? Ted Michaels and Diana Weeks usually anchors the afternoon news. Ted already said he's retiring in December.

Last edited by Brad (September 6, 2021 1:52 pm)

September 6, 2021 6:13 pm  #10

CKNW in Vancouver uses the Global News Radio branding quite heavily.

September 7, 2021 10:00 am  #11

I see that Alan Carter and Jeff McArthur's programs are now syndicated and will also air on CHML and CFPL in London. Scott Thompson will host 3 to 6 on CHML.

September 8, 2021 6:27 pm  #12

eladb wrote:

Scott Thompson will host 3 to 6 on CHML.

Loved his work on "Kids in the Hall". Do you think he'll break out the "Buddy Cole" character at all? 

September 11, 2021 8:45 pm  #13

I listened to CHML Saturday for the first time since the announcement was made. They had a local talk show on and local news in the morning. Not once did I hear the letters "GNR" mentioned on air. I thought they made a big deal about introducing that branding. Very strange, but in the 90 minutes I had it on, the host, the newscaster and the promos didn't refer to it once.

Instead, it was always "900 CHML." 

After all that big fanfare, that's pretty strange. 

September 11, 2021 9:34 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

Corus only went all-in with the GNR branding in Toronto and one of their Edmonton AMs; stations where call letters weren't previously used as the brand. The rest of the news/talk AMs had long-used their call letters as their brands and continue to do so, with GNR serving more as a tagline.

Aaron's post explains the whole CHML, CFPL branding.  CHML was really talking more about the program changes that they were making with the schedules and hosts, not so much about the GNR imaging which they have been using lightly for some time, same as CFPL.  They just don't use the full tagline as much or all the time like 640.  CFMJ has never been used much for 640's programming.    640 CFMJ has never meant anything to the listener, where 900 CHML and 980 CFPL has.  The Global News Radio tagline is secondary and used mostly for major local newscasts, official ID's and out of some commercial breaks, but not so much during the body of a show.  And naturally all stations have been using the GRN for any print or websites.  

Last edited by paterson1 (September 11, 2021 9:36 pm)

September 12, 2021 12:21 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I listened to CHML Saturday for the first time since the announcement was made. They had a local talk show on and local news in the morning. Not once did I hear the letters "GNR" mentioned on air. I thought they made a big deal about introducing that branding. Very strange, but in the 90 minutes I had it on, the host, the newscaster and the promos didn't refer to it once.

Instead, it was always "900 CHML." 

After all that big fanfare, that's pretty strange. 

Perhaps the week-end programming is slow to get the memo. lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.