sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2021 8:40 pm  #1

Roy Green: Great Moments In Bad Timing

I usually listen to some of Roy Green's Corus network show out of CHML (broadcast on GNR640) on the weekend, mainly because there's simply no other topical program on any of the big stations Saturday or Sunday. 

But this afternoon, he made a statement that I find kind of stunning. He confirmed that the weekend before the election, he would not be on the air, going on vacation instead. The erstwhile host explained that normally he would never do such a thing, but he's had this one planned "for months" and he wasn't going to cancel it. 

Look, he has every right to time off. But on a show that's primarily about politics, how in the world do you NOT work the day before everyone votes? I find it incredible that Corus would let that happen. 

That said, there will be a live show in the time slot with an alternate host. But it definitely won't be the same. 

September 11, 2021 8:50 pm  #2

Re: Roy Green: Great Moments In Bad Timing

Good for him.

Life is more than work.

Now they should put a guest host.

I vote Peter Sherman

Last edited by Mr magoogain (September 11, 2021 8:50 pm)

September 11, 2021 9:08 pm  #3

Again, I don't object to his getting a vacation. Everyone deserves time off.

But it should be pointed out that he only works two days a week. And if we were in the middle of, say, a rating period, I'm sure Bell would not let John Moore be absent for seven days.

Granted he had no way of knowing that an election would be called when this was booked. But it's a pretty big part of his show - and he just came back from a two week holiday less than 14 days ago! This just doesn't make any sense. He could easily take the following week off, instead, if it came to that. In broadcasting, you sometimes have to work around this kind of stuff. 

You don't leave when one of the biggest events in the country is about to take place. I just think it's very strange timing. 

September 11, 2021 10:01 pm  #4

Perhaps it's not exactly a vacation, he could need a "vacation" that's a short leave of absence for a personal situation, health reasons etc.

September 11, 2021 10:07 pm  #5

Mr magoogain wrote:

Good for him.

Life is more than work.

Now they should put a guest host.

I vote Peter Sherman

I second that vote Mr. magoogain, Peter Shurman does what John Moore often does, sketches a brief overview or history of a topic without sounding patronizing or boring, to bring his listeners up to speed so they'll be able to get more out of the discussion.

September 13, 2021 10:23 am  #6

I don't know anyone here flying multi-engine aircraft...I don't, once did. I enjoy being Freddy Fill-in, hope to continue doing it. I thank those who support my kind of talk radio. For those who don't, you can always go out and see if you can secure that kind of work yourself! No one has offered me Roy's slot in his absence, so there is nothing further to discuss...he's a good host. Good day to all and what a pleasure, following a busy summer, to enjoy the luxury of reading and commenting on this board.

September 13, 2021 10:25 am  #7

You're welcome here any time, Mr. Shurman. I, for one, enjoy when you fill-in.