sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2021 10:20 pm  #1

The Great Debate Coverage

Not going to make any political observations except noting this - the second French Debate was all over English media. 

The CBC's French station - here on Channel 25 - never showed a single frame of the English version.  

I find that both sad and telling. But not really surprising. 

September 9, 2021 10:35 pm  #2

Re: The Great Debate Coverage

RadioActive wrote:

Not going to make any political observations except noting this - the second French Debate was all over English media. 

The CBC's French station - here on Channel 25 - never showed a single frame of the English version.  

Guess you need to compare apples to apples.  The English debate is on ici RDI which is Radio Canada's news channel.  CBC English main network (Channel 5) didn't show the French debate last night.  Channel 25 is on Radio Canada's main network. So in fact CBC/RC are handling the debates the same.  Last nights French debates were on the news networks on CTV and CBC but not their main networks. 

So far this debate and the one last night have been better than usual in my opinion. The moderator tonight is doing a good job and last night as well.  The debates a few years ago were not as well organized.  

September 9, 2021 11:14 pm  #3

Agree with you that Sachii Kurl did a pretty good job of shutting them up, when they tried to talk over each other. That was certainly refreshing. I wish she was running for P.M! Or maybe she'd make a great Speaker of the House.

September 10, 2021 12:50 am  #4

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Guess you need to compare apples to apples.  The English debate is on ici RDI which is Radio Canada's news channel.  CBC English main network (Channel 5) didn't show the French debate last night.  Channel 25 is on Radio Canada's main network. So in fact CBC/RC are handling the debates the same.  Last nights French debates were on the news networks on CTV and CBC but not their main networks. 

So far this debate and the one last night have been better than usual in my opinion. The moderator tonight is doing a good job and last night as well.  The debates a few years ago were not as well organized.  

The main network of the CBC did show the French debate.  It was on the main network as well as CBC News Network.

September 10, 2021 8:43 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

The main network of the CBC did show the French debate.  It was on the main network as well as CBC News Network.

Which was exactly the point. It's clear Radio-Canada didn't care about what was said in English, which is unfortunate because it should have been relevant to the province, represented on stage by Blanchet.

The pundits are coming down really hard on Kurl. I thought she did a great job as emcee, keeping the candidates on point, without letting them veer off topic into their endless - and irrelevant - talking points. Anyone who can shut up a politician in mid-sentence is OK in my book!

September 10, 2021 10:47 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Radio-Canada showed the French debate on their main network, CBC showed the English debate on their main network. Both CBC News Network and RDI showed both English and French debates on their channels with translations. I'm not sure what the issue is here. I wouldn't expect CBC (English) to show the French debate on the terrestrial network, and same with Radio-Canada for the English debate. 

The biggest problem we had with this year's debates was that there were two French debates (one by TVA and one by the consortium), and only one English debate. 

September 10, 2021 5:49 pm  #7

I was going by the listings on my Fibe TV which usually is very up to date.  The French debate was not listed on CBC Toronto on Wednesday evening, but they did have the debate showing for CBC and CTV news channels.  And checking on the CBC TV main network schedule on line for Wednesday also didn't have the French debate listed, just regular programming. CBC, CTV and Global all had the French debate live with translation on their newsites on Wednesday evening and it was available on Youtube..   CBLFT, last night had no listing for the English debate but it was on Radio Canada's news channel ici RDI.  If the main CBC and Radio Canada networks carried both the English and French debates it must have been a last minute decision, since neither had it on their schedules.   The debate from last night is all over Quebec media today, so somebody was watching it.