sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2021 10:27 pm  #1

Terry DiMonte and Ted Bird Podcast Interview: Radio Days

Interesting interview on the Pantelis podcast YouTube channel from two guys who have a lot to say on their time working together at CHOM, how and why it blew up, and that's just for starters.

https://youtu.be/VSr7kHby5sM

Last edited by betaylored (September 6, 2021 10:28 pm)

September 7, 2021 10:14 am  #2

Re: Terry DiMonte and Ted Bird Podcast Interview: Radio Days

Thanks for posting this betaylored!  When I first saw the length of the podcast with Terry Dimonte and Ted Bird, thought I would never listen to the whole thing.  But I did, and what a interesting and accurate overview on the state of radio today.  Really entertaining and I am sorry that I never heard Terry and Ted on CHOM.  Also like the way that for the most part these guys aren't bitter, and both have moved on, and still having fun. So many great stories. 

September 7, 2021 4:05 pm  #3

Ted Bird hit it right on the money. If you want to find creative, locally-focused radio go to community stations or those owned by the smaller companies. they still understand what makes a winner in the long run.

September 7, 2021 5:11 pm  #4

kevjo wrote:

Ted Bird hit it right on the money. If you want to find creative, locally-focused radio go to community stations or those owned by the smaller companies. they still understand what makes a winner in the long run.

There may be some hope for the radio business in Canada, both Ted Bird and Terry agree that the big guys like Bell, Rogers, Stingray etc. will at some point start to sell less profitable stations when they can't cut anymore.

This gives an opportunity for smaller radio organizations to buy some decent stations in medium and smaller markets.  This has been happening in the US with large chains like iHeart, Audacy and others selling or auctioning off properties.  Some of the big US conglomerates became unprofitable years prior to COVID and in some cases declared bankruptcy. 

This hasn't happened in Canada, and probably won't.  However with Bell, Rogers and the rest needing to show growth every quarter at some point they will probably look at selling some of their stations. The cutting and streamlining will run dry.  This will be a fantastic opportunity for some that truly love radio and see it still as a service to the community.  The smaller operators are not burdened down with performance models and expectations from shareholders, and head offices that apparently see no future in this business. 

Even though radio has lost some audience, there is still a lot out there and many opportunities to reach and hopefully grow listenership.  Just get back to what the medium has always done so well, be local, entertaining and know your community and who you are serving.  Give the audience what they can't get anywhere else.  If your station really acts like they want the listener, and the advertising, you will be very surprised at the results that will come!  You will also see that your success does not begin and end with national advertising. 

September 8, 2021 7:58 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

Thanks for posting this betaylored!  When I first saw the length of the podcast with Terry Dimonte and Ted Bird, thought I would never listen to the whole thing.  But I did, and what a interesting and accurate overview on the state of radio today.  Really entertaining and I am sorry that I never heard Terry and Ted on CHOM.  Also like the way that for the most part these guys aren't bitter, and both have moved on, and still having fun. So many great stories. 

you're welcome paterson1, when I watched Terry and Ted chatting, it reminded me of the conversations there's been on the big yellow board about working in radio, the good, the bad, and the ugly (new inept management!) plus there's a surprisingly large number of us former Montrealers now living here in "Tarawna" and creating and adding content to the SOWNY threads

Ted Bird has a good, always blunt, sometimes cutting, and funny Twitter presence, as did Terry when he was active in anti social media.

Last edited by betaylored (September 8, 2021 8:03 pm)

September 9, 2021 1:35 pm  #6

https://linktr.ee/terryandtedpodcast

The Terry and Ted podcast has officially launched. Here's the link.

September 9, 2021 9:15 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

https://linktr.ee/terryandtedpodcast

The Terry and Ted podcast has officially launched. Here's the link.

I will absolutely listen to this podcast.  These guys must have been so good together in the mornings on CHOM.  Nice that the members and alumni on SOWNY from Montreal are contributing and posting.