sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2021 1:18 pm  #1

Locast.org is no more.

For those in Canada using a VPN to watch, or those south of the border in the US markets they served, the streaming service Locast (where you could watch live streams of OTA stations in your US market) is no more as of this morning.

I've never used the service, but I was trying to figure it out the past few days via VPN with little success. I've heard mixed reviews. Has anyone on this board had experience using it? And the bigger question: will Locast resume services when and if they get their legal issues sorted out?

More on the court ruling that caused Locast to suspend their operations: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-morning-after-locasts-local-tv-streaming-service-loses-legal-protections-111537577.html

Last edited by Radio.Intern (September 2, 2021 1:19 pm)

September 2, 2021 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Locast.org is no more.

I was on the site yesterday trying to see if I could get it to work. Alas, unless your VPN allowed you to pinpoint a specific market in the U.S. (mine doesn't) you would get a message back saying, "Sorry, we don't have any service in your area." I believe my attempts to connect went through Kansas and Buffalo, neither of which they carried.

The site did list where they had service but since the VPN didn't let me point to those cities, it didn't work. Now, of course, it doesn't matter where you are. It's gone. 

September 2, 2021 2:06 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

The site did list where they had service but since the VPN didn't let me point to those cities, it didn't work. Now, of course, it doesn't matter where you are. It's gone. 

My IPTV still works fine so I don't care. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 2, 2021 2:19 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I was on the site yesterday trying to see if I could get it to work. Alas, unless your VPN allowed you to pinpoint a specific market in the U.S. (mine doesn't) you would get a message back saying, "Sorry, we don't have any service in your area." I believe my attempts to connect went through Kansas and Buffalo, neither of which they carried.

This is the EXACT problem I was having on my VPN.  

September 2, 2021 2:27 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

My IPTV still works fine so I don't care. 

Lol, speaking of IPTV: mine was running the MeTV network off Locast for the past two weeks. It was an atrocious feed (constant picture/sound issues) as opposed to what I was getting before. I'll have to check what they changed it to now that Locast went dark.

September 2, 2021 7:25 pm  #6

Radio.Intern wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

This is the EXACT problem I was having on my VPN.  

i use SurfShark VPN .. ample USA cities to choose from .. USA - Multiple locations
Miami
Tampa
Orlando
Ashburn
Atlanta
Charlotte
Manassas
Boston
Houston
New York
Latham
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Buffalo
St. Louis
Detroit
Phoenix
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Salt Lake City
San Francisco
Bend
Seattle

September 2, 2021 8:08 pm  #7

That's good to know. Nord VPN does not allow you to specify where you're connected. I wish they had that feature.

September 3, 2021 7:29 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

That's good to know. Nord VPN does not allow you to specify where you're connected. I wish they had that feature.

Umm.. I use Nord as well and can pick and chose cities in the US and Canada??

September 3, 2021 8:36 am  #9

Really? My interface gives me a choice between the U.S., Canada and other countries. But not individual cities. If you can do this, please tell me how it works. Maybe I missed something. 

September 3, 2021 10:12 am  #10

You can use the search bar to specify
a city or even a server and on my phone and computers I have the visual selection.  Only on my Nvidia Shields do I have to search, but then it keeps it in a list of recently connected so I can select it quickly again.

September 3, 2021 1:47 pm  #11

OK, I think I see what happened. I generally use the interface as a browser extension only and you don't see those choices - only countries.

Signing in gets you the menu you're showing in your post, but only certain cities are available, with the big ones like NYC, Chicago or L.A. accessible. I tried Milwaukee - which was a Locast city when they existed - and it wasn't included. 

Still, good to know. I rarely use that part of the app but I'll keep it in mind for future reference. 

September 3, 2021 2:25 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

OK, I think I see what happened. I generally use the interface as a browser extension only and you don't see those choices - only countries.

Signing in gets you the menu you're showing in your post, but only certain cities are available, with the big ones like NYC, Chicago or L.A. accessible. I tried Milwaukee - which was a Locast city when they existed - and it wasn't included. 

Still, good to know. I rarely use that part of the app but I'll keep it in mind for future reference. 

Yeah, I never use the browser extension, way more control launching the app.  Kill switches etc.

September 3, 2021 2:30 pm  #13

To each his own, I guess. I find the extension way more convenient, but as a result I almost never look at or play around with the actual app. Thanks for bringing my attention to it.