sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2021 9:13 am  #1

When Is CTV Toronto's Lyndsay Morrison "Expecting" To Be Off Air?

Watching CTV Toronto's newscasts, there's no hiding the fact that their main weather person, Lyndsay Morrison, (the only one left after they laid off longtime forecasters Anwar Knight and Tom Brown) is heavily pregnant. It's extremely obvious when she turns to the side to point out something on one of the maps. 

That means she's likely to be taking maternity leave soon. Enter Michelle Jobin, a veteran of CTV's Your Morning, who, it was announced when she was introduced on air a few weeks ago, is "joining the Toronto news team for a few months." She's there along with weekend anchor Saron Fanel, primarily a reporter, in subbing on the weather segments. 

My question: what happens when either of these subs needs time off over the next year Morrison could conceivably be absent? They no longer have the luxury of having extra bodies. And having anchors doing the forecasts really doesn't cut it. 

In any event, congrats to Ms. Morrison and her family. I think she does a great job on the show and I will miss her when she inevitably takes mat leave. 

July 8, 2021 9:37 am  #2

Re: When Is CTV Toronto's Lyndsay Morrison "Expecting" To Be Off Air?

"Heavily pregnant"

How about "it seems she's expecting a baby soon"? 

and why should anyone need to hide it? I'm glad it's in full view  

And you're right, she does a great job. 

July 8, 2021 9:38 am  #3

They should use CP24 weather people but never have and I don't understand why. There must be a reason but I can't figure it out. 

July 8, 2021 9:50 am  #4

zed wrote:

They should use CP24 weather people but never have and I don't understand why. There must be a reason but I can't figure it out. 

They could bring in someone from CTV Kitchener.  Years ago, CTV Toronto brought Lyndsey in a lot on weekends or fill in when she was still working full time in Kitchener.  CTV Kitchener still has three weather people, although they often have them co-hosting a news package with the anchor.  But all three originally just did weather.  They also have a reporter who does weather from time to time.   

July 8, 2021 10:07 am  #5

rawkgurl wrote:

"Heavily pregnant"

How about "it seems she's expecting a baby soon"? 

and why should anyone need to hide it? I'm glad it's in full view  

And you're right, she does a great job.  

I think it's great that she's not hiding it, although given how the weather set is laid out with its maps, I'm not sure how they could even if they wanted to.

We've come a very long way since the 60s, when sitcom actresses had to stand behind kitchen counters or carry shopping bags in front of them to hide their baby bumps. Lucy wasn't even allowed to use the word "pregnant" on I Love Lucy - and she and Ricky slept in separate beds! 

July 8, 2021 12:13 pm  #6

torontostan wrote:

zed wrote:

Perhaps because they work for different unions? I'm sure once they allow it to happen once, everybody would be on their toes about a mass consolidation of weather staff. 

That could be it but I would think Bell might be able to find a way around it. 

August 31, 2021 7:16 pm  #7

Regarding the original question of this thread, the answer is "now." Lyndsay Morrison and her husband welcomed a 7-pound baby named Charlie this week. I'm expecting (well actually, SHE was the one who was expecting!) we won't be seeing her for a while, as she's now officially off on mat leave. Congrats to her.

Too bad Bell fired all their former weather people, like Tom Brown and Anwar Knight, both of whom could have easily taken her place. 

The big announcement

August 31, 2021 11:14 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Too bad Bell fired all their former weather people, like Tom Brown and Anwar Knight, both of whom could have easily taken her place. 

Please don't forget that this is a business. More like it's too bad they didn't just shut the CTV Toronto weather department down altogether and simply go to CP24 weather for weather. 
The sooner they do that the better the return on the investment. 
Bell is not doing things cheap enough.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 1, 2021 10:27 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Please don't forget that this is a business. More like it's too bad they didn't just shut the CTV Toronto weather department down altogether and simply go to CP24 weather for weather. 

Going cheap would be just killing off the CTV Toronto Newsroom and do everything from CP24.  I have a feeling at some point CP24 or CTV will in fact be doing just this idea, and run everything out of the one studio/newsroom.   

Last edited by radiokid (September 1, 2021 10:27 am)

September 1, 2021 1:32 pm  #10

September 1, 2021 1:57 pm  #11

radiokid wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Going cheap would be just killing off the CTV Toronto Newsroom and do everything from CP24.  I have a feeling at some point CP24 or CTV will in fact be doing just this idea, and run everything out of the one studio/newsroom.   

I'll be curious who does the weather on the weekends while this is going on. Michelle Jobin has been subbing for Morrison and looks to be the go-to person for the duration during the week. But no one can work seven days a week for a year. Will Saron Fanel be put back into the Saturday and Sunday slot? (Come to think of it, I haven't seen her on air in over a month. Is she still with CTV Toronto?) Whatever they decide, it's clear they probably won't have enough people, so perhaps borrowing from CP24 is what they might have to rely on. We'll see.