sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2021 11:23 am  #1

Broadcasting After COVID - Will It Ever Be The Way It Was?

I remember the days when our satellite truck would be rushed to the scene of an accident or out to do a live interview somewhere. It took an operator of the vehicle, who could properly set up the signal back to the station, and usually a camera person as well. And someone back at the station also had to pull in that signal and be sure it was ready for air. It wasn't cheap but there was no other way to do it. 

Enter the virus. With social distancing now the rule and no vaccine early on, Zoom or some other program became the norm to get those same interviews on the air to keep everyone safe. The quality wasn't always great and certainly nowhere near a satellite or microwave signal. But necessity being the mother of invention, everyone - including all the major U.S. networks - came to accept if not embrace it. 

The same for radio hosts doing their shows from their basements or home offices. There were glitches, but for the most part it worked pretty well. CFRB, for example, used to insist all their guests on their morning Roundtables be in the studio and not on the phone because of better quality. But now the technology has allowed people to essentially be anywhere (frequent guest Tamara Cherry lives in Saskatchewan and you can't tell on air) and no one cares. 

Which brings us hopefully one day to a post-COVID world. Do you think we will ever go back to those expensive sat trucks for a simple interview? Will hosts go back into a studio setting every day for their shifts? Or is this cheaper way to do it going to be the new norm? 

I'm curious to see how if what was once thought impossible becomes a new cost saving but acceptable standard in the industry. Or will things go back to the way they were once the danger from this thing ever subsides?

My guess - there will still be satellite trucks and remotes. But they won't be used as often for a simple Q&A with a guest. I think the technological breakthroughs forced by COVID are here to stay. The quality is good and they don't cost most stations anything. And I'm not sure there's any owner who can resist that. 

August 31, 2021 2:49 pm  #2

Re: Broadcasting After COVID - Will It Ever Be The Way It Was?

As you note RA, many TV interviews are now done using Zoom (or other such platform) with the "subject" located at home or in their office.  I think this change will stay forever, and why not?  It's easier and quicker to set up an interview since no one has to go anywhere.  It's also cost effective.

Many TV on-the-street "stand-ups" are now being done with no microwave or sat truck.  They use a small transmission device that "bonds" numerous cellular channels together to create sufficient bandwidth for high quality audio & video.  It also provides IFB return.  Again the benefit here is the ease of set up, low cost, and you can do numerous simultaneous "hits" from multiple locations.  see  https://www.dejero.com  You can still roll the sat truck for truly remote locations where you have limited cellular coverage or you need longer term, guaranteed access.

August 31, 2021 3:26 pm  #3

I'd never heard of Dejero before. What an impressive technology. (Is that Nick Dixon in one of the photos on the site labelled "return video?" Sure looks like him.)

I agree. I don't think everything will ever go back to normal. Despite the occasional sluggish signal or loss of a few words or video frames, I think it's come to be acceptable, especially considering how much cheaper, easier and faster it is. And who knows what might happen when 5G is everywhere?

As the old vaudeville great Al Jolson used to say, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

August 31, 2021 4:26 pm  #4

In Phase wrote:

As you note RA, many TV interviews are now done using Zoom (or other such platform) with the "subject" located at home or in their office.  I think this change will stay forever, and why not?  It's easier and quicker to set up an interview since no one has to go anywhere.  It's also cost effective.

In the short run it fails because there are some quality issues and some muffled sound etc.
In the long run, you may be correct. Technology will only get better, maximizing the quality.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.