sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2021 2:06 pm  #1

Corus To Mark 20 Yrs. Of "Global National" With Primetime Special

It's not often a network gives up an hour of valuable primetime to blow its own horn, but that's what Global will be doing on Sept. 10, with a special marking two decades of its Global National newscast. 

From their press release:

"Disruption: 20 Years of Global National" examines how transformative events over the past two decades such as 9/11, our country’s involvement in the war in Afghanistan, the Arab Spring, and the global pandemic have transformed the lives of Canadians. In addition to coverage and conversation hosted by Newman and Friesen, the special will also feature stories and recollections of producers, correspondents and video-journalists involved in some of the biggest stories in recent history, including those who have been with [i]Global National since its inception, Mike Armstrong and Ross Lord."[/i]

It airs at 10 PM, and worth noting, it's the night before the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11th terror attacks. 

August 27, 2021 2:13 pm  #2

Re: Corus To Mark 20 Yrs. Of "Global National" With Primetime Special

I’ll be watching. I’ve been a regular Global National viewer since day one. Nice to see Kevin Newman will be coming back for this, I always liked him as an anchor.

Global National was a big deal when it launched, in part because it was the first national newscast anchored from the west coast. It was fulfilling the dream BCTV had to produce a network national newscast. They did, of course, produce Canada Tonight which aired on CHCH, but it didn’t have national coverage, airing just on some stations co-owned with BCTV prior to it being bought by CanWest.

Incidentally, next week marks 10 years since Lloyd Robertson stepped down from CTV National News, and Lisa Laflamme became the full time anchor. October will also mark 60 years of that newscast, but CTV has never been one to mark anniversaries, I don’t think they even acknowledged their 50th.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (August 27, 2021 2:18 pm)

August 27, 2021 2:39 pm  #3

Speaking of Lloyd Robertson, think how futuristic this ad from 1969 must have seemed at the time - and how dated it's become some 50 years later. 

Computer Age TV! (Is that a punch card beside him?) 

An electronic newspaper!

TV as the cool new medium!

Not to mention the future Walter Cronkite of Canada being relegated to weekends. 

And oh yeah, notice how the CBC, the bastion of all things Canadian, spells "colour" in the ad.   

My, how times change...

August 28, 2021 12:30 am  #4

MJ Vancouver wrote:

I’ll be watching. I’ve been a regular Global National viewer since day one. Nice to see Kevin Newman will be coming back for this, I always liked him as an anchor.

Global National was a big deal when it launched, in part because it was the first national newscast anchored from the west coast. It was fulfilling the dream BCTV had to produce a network national newscast. They did, of course, produce Canada Tonight which aired on CHCH, but it didn’t have national coverage, airing just on some stations co-owned with BCTV prior to it being bought by CanWest.

Incidentally, next week marks 10 years since Lloyd Robertson stepped down from CTV National News, and Lisa Laflamme became the full time anchor. October will also mark 60 years of that newscast, but CTV has never been one to mark anniversaries, I don’t think they even acknowledged their 50th.

They acknowledged their 25th. I remember seeing a silver CTV logo on air for a number of months.