sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2021 10:10 am  #1

An Alternative To Ashby?

It debuted in June, but I've only recently discovered a weekly two-hour syndicated show in the U.S. called "The History of Rock and Roll." It's fronted by former game show host and one time L.A. rock DJ Wink Martindale and airs on various radio stations in the U.S., mostly on the weekends. 

I haven't heard it yet, but according to an article on the show, it takes the kind of approach that makes me like these kinds of programs - exploring the often-unknown stories behind the hits. 

The History Of Rock & Roll with Wink Martindale

It's not the original "History" you may remember that ran on CHUM a few decades ago. Instead, it sounds similar to the Roger Ashby Oldies Show that's become popular among some on this board. The show is written and produced by the same guy who created the 52-hour History of Rock and Roll back in 1978. 

"Each episode is built around a theme spotlighting yet another aspect of rock and pop history." 

So where can you hear it? It doesn't seem to air anywhere in Canada, which means if you want to sample an episode, you'll have to stream it. Here are a few stations that air it over the Net if you're interested in hearing what it sounds like. 

WMPS - Memphis Sat 9-11 AM & Sun 1-3 PM

WHGM - Havre De Grace, Maryland, Sunday 10 PM- 12 AM

WYAY, Myrtle Beach, S. Carolina, Saturday 10 AM - 12 PM

METV FM Chicago, Saturdays 8 AM-10 AM, Sundays 11 PM- 1 AM (EDT)

KFQX Seattle, Saturday & Monday 3 PM -5 PM (EDT)

It won't be enough to get me to give up Ashby's show, but it will be interesting to hear how someone else with credible credentials approaches it. 

August 26, 2021 12:19 pm  #2

Re: An Alternative To Ashby?

I did not realize Wink is still alive. 87 years young. WOW! Good for him! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.