sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2021 2:00 pm  #1

Charles Adler Gone From CKNW & Corus Radio Network

That voice you hear substituting for Charles Adler on GNR640 this week isn't subbing for him at all. Turns out the longtime host of the national show has left CKNW in B.C. and Corus along with it. There's been no word on what may have prompted the exit, but his name is gone from every company website.  

Adler has been on 'NW for years and his nightly show aired on most of the Corus talk stations across the country. According to Puget Sound Radio.com, the longtime host indicates he is "taking a break," although he's gone on record repeatedly on the air saying this was all he ever wanted to do and he hated going on vacation, noting he would always prefer to be doing a live show instead of a reroll - one of the reasons he was among the few to work even on a stat holiday. 

For now, Corus seems to be subbing with another host. Whether the cross-country show continues or something else takes its place is yet to be determined. CKNW's Martin Strong is taking the air chair in the meantime. 

Adler has worked all over the country in his long radio career, including a memorable stint on CFRB several decades ago. He also spent some time on the dial in the U.S. Where he goes next isn't known, but this is - today, Thursday, August 25th - is his 67th birthday.

He may get presents, but he no longer has any presence on Canadian airwaves. 

August 25, 2021 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Charles Adler Gone From CKNW & Corus Radio Network

Adler got woke! Even he got tired of all the old, right wing, white guys screaming at the clouds on talk radio...

Charles Adler on why he’s no longer a conservative
https://globalnews.ca/news/7309114/charles-adler-conservative/

August 25, 2021 5:54 pm  #3

Johnny B wrote:

Adler got woke! Even he got tired of all the old, right wing, white guys screaming at the clouds on talk radio...

No doubt. They drove me away years ago. Always pissed off about something. I will miss Charles as he was actually listenable.

August 25, 2021 6:27 pm  #4

>> This is known..  today, Thursday, August 25th - is his 67th birthday.

Umm.. no it's not.

RadioActive wrote:

That voice you hear substituting for Charles Adler on GNR640 this week isn't subbing for him at all. Turns out the longtime host of the national show has left CKNW in B.C. and Corus along with it. There's been no word on what may have prompted the exit, but his name is gone from every company website.  

Adler has been on 'NW for years and his nightly show aired on most of the Corus talk stations across the country. According to Puget Sound Radio.com, the longtime host indicates he is "taking a break," although he's gone on record repeatedly on the air saying this was all he ever wanted to do and he hated going on vacation, noting he would always prefer to be doing a live show instead of a reroll - one of the reasons he was among the few to work even on a stat holiday. 

For now, Corus seems to be subbing with another host. Whether the cross-country show continues or something else takes its place is yet to be determined. CKNW's Martin Strong is taking the air chair in the meantime. 

Adler has worked all over the country in his long radio career, including a memorable stint on CFRB several decades ago. He also spent some time on the dial in the U.S. Where he goes next isn't known, but this is - today, Thursday, August 25th - is his 67th birthday.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 25, 2021 6:33 pm  #5

August 25, 2021 6:54 pm  #6

ig wrote:

>> This is known..  today, Thursday, August 25th - is his 67th birthday.

Umm.. no it's not.

RadioActive wrote:

Sorry, meant to write Wednesday, but the fingers aren't matching the brain today for some reason.

Today, of course being Sunday! 

But it IS still his birthday. 

August 25, 2021 7:13 pm  #7

Nothing of value has been lost.

August 25, 2021 7:36 pm  #8

I think it's the fact I have a pinched nerve in my neck that's kept me from sleeping for 2 months (and counting!) that's responsible for my recent memory lapses! Fine during the day, but lying down is a nightmare. So if you see any more of these, you'll know why. When it comes to the race to fix this, it's been neck - and neck!

August 26, 2021 1:53 pm  #9

August 26, 2021 10:09 pm  #10

Sorry to read this as I've always enjoyed Charles  

When he first started out in the business he was a board op then graduating to an on air shift and he was known as Al Adler.

When I first knew Al he was doing an adult contemporary music show at the competition in the mid 70's

Fast forward a few years & voila he's now talk show host Charles Adler

Always thought though never confirmed he changed his handle to up his cred if that makes sense.

But as I said I liked him and will miss his late evening programs

Enjoy your retirement Charles -- I highly recommend it

Last edited by unclefester (August 26, 2021 10:52 pm)