sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2021 2:14 pm  #1

Two Former CHUM Jocks Named Posthumously To Radio Hall Of Fame

It's way past due, but former CHUM jock and legendary radio rocker Jackson Armstrong has been named posthumously to this year's Radio Hall of Fame. He worked for a slew of legendary stations, including WKBW in Buffalo and 1050 in Toronto, and desperately (but unsuccessfully) tried to keep the latter station from going into the Drake format. That's when he left the city for greener pastures. But the fast talking DJ certainly made an impression while he was here. (Ironically, another inductee this year is Bill Drake, the guy who created the very format Armstrong sought to stop.)

The other one-time CHUM announcer being honoured made a big splash for the launch of the progressive format of CHUM-FM. Murray The K wasn't here long, but he'll be in the Hall for eternity. 

There are a slew of other late entertainers entering the Hall this year, including many names you probably know. Among them:

-Chuck Leonard and Ron Lundy of WABC,
-Frankie Crocker, who worked at WUFO in Buffalo and WWRL and WBLS-FM in NYC.
-Don Cornelius, the host of Soul Train,
-Jocko Henderson, a legendary early soul and rock and roll DJ,
-Tom Donahue, progressive rock radio pioneer,
-And Todd Storz, the man who allegedly invented the Top 40 format after he noticed the same songs being played over and over again on a jukebox.   

There are, of course, some live inductees and one of those is a bit closer to home. Brother Tom Wease has been a morning man fixture in Rochester for decades. 

Radio Hall of Fame Announces 2021 Inductees

Radio Hall of Fame website

August 24, 2021 7:34 pm  #2

Re: Two Former CHUM Jocks Named Posthumously To Radio Hall Of Fame

Worked with both Jack Armstrong at CHUM 1050 and Murray The K at CHUM-FM.  Jack was always fun to watch when he announce operated his own show (most CHUM DJ's in the 1960's and '70s had operators).  He'd go a mile a minute (not just talking).  Jack was a whirling dervish when he was on the air.
Murray the K was a 'happening cat'.  Murray was always up and positive and always very appreciative whenever I did anything for his show.  
Also glad to see Ruth Myers who programmed WINS during rocks early days inducted as well as Pat O'Day, Martha 'The Queen' Steinberg and my favourite LA jock of all time, The Real Don Steele.  When I worked for Ted Randal in Hollywood in 1970, I always listened to the 'Real Don' in the afternoon.  Met Don, Robert W. Morgan and Bill Drake (separately and together) at Martoni's Restaurant on Cahuenga Blvd, just a couple of blocks from Randal's office on Argyle. 

Those were amazing times.  Congrats to all the inductees this year. 

August 24, 2021 9:28 pm  #3

Re: Two Former CHUM Jocks Named Posthumously To Radio Hall Of Fame

Some great names there for sure. But where's the love for Joey Reynolds?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram