sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2021 10:46 am  #1

Whatever Happened To RAV-FM In Thornhill?

This topic came up after I read this article from Seattle about a high school radio station that’s actually on the air. In fact, there are literally hundreds of them in the U.S., almost of all of them low power, but at least they exist. The longest running examples have been broadcasting since 1949.

Canada, however, only has six of them – and four of those are located in Ontario. The closest one is in Thornhill, where RAV-FM (Radio At Vaughan) is supposed to be broadcasting at 90.7 FM. (The unfortunate real call letters are CFU758!)

I’m not even sure they’re on anymore or are still considered a school radio station, since I haven’t heard them in a while on that frequency. Plus, the place is no longer called Vaughan Secondary School, after political correctness had them renamed Hodan Nalayeh S.S. Hence, "RAV" no longer really fits.

I’ve been unable to find any updated website, surely a hallmark of any school station these days, and the last real posts from those that are still online are from 2016.

I certainly wish my high school had even a closed-circuit radio station within the building. It would have made those awful four years I spent there a lot better, and frankly I probably wouldn’t have been able to pull myself away from it. (To be fair, they did one year let us play music over the intercom system before classes started at 9 AM, and I volunteered to provide some of those tunes, although there was no “announcing” per se. I vividly recall one day coming into school and being asked what godawful shit I had been playing over the speakers. I later discovered that someone had put it on at the wrong speed and it was playing so slow it was almost unintelligible. And no one noticed!)

Does anyone know the fate of RAV-FM? They did have an LP licence but I’m not sure it still exists. If not, it’s a shame. My college radio days were some of the best I ever spent in the medium, although almost no one was listening. But you could get away with anything while learning what worked and what didn’t. It would have been great to have that way back in high school.

I just wish there were more of them in Canada but on an already over-crowded dial, that's not likely to happen again in the GTA. 

August 23, 2021 10:59 am  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To RAV-FM In Thornhill?

RadioActive wrote:

=12px I volunteered to provide some of those tunes .. =12px I vividly recall one day coming into school and being asked what godawful shit I had been playing over the speakers. .. I later discovered that someone had put it on at the wrong speed and it was playing so slow it was almost unintelligible.  

to be fair, many are unfamiliar with '78s : )) .. 

August 23, 2021 11:04 am  #3

August 23, 2021 11:05 am  #4

Due to Covid, the station (RAV FM) has been temporarily shut down. It should return shortly. 
No further information is available at this time. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 23, 2021 4:43 pm  #5

Our high school had an in house radio station that pumped music outside the school and the cafe for a while but the principal put an end to it fairly quick.  We also had tunes play on the local cable channel with our high school report once per week with dj's from the high school.  The old folks loved to see what the kids were up to, and we even took a few requests live, in between the complaints about the music.  It was really funny, and the show had no set time, so we could go on for a few hours on a Friday evening if we wanted.  Free form cable TV, excellent!!

Looks the US still has about 160 high school stations even though quite a few have closed or have been transferred to something else, but to their credit a few of the stations have HD channels. 

Last edited by paterson1 (August 23, 2021 4:48 pm)

August 23, 2021 5:01 pm  #6

Rob Basile may know, he used to be involved.

August 24, 2021 10:47 am  #7

pinto wrote:

Rob Basile may know, he used to be involved.

I'm very confident if he can say anything he would say this: 

=12pxDue to Covid, the station (RAV FM) has been temporarily shut down. It should return shortly. 
=12pxNo further information is available at this time. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 24, 2023 4:16 pm  #8

I hope it re-emerges.  I used to live in Vancouver in 1995 (and 2016) and noticed C89.5 Seattle KNHC I believe each visit near or south of the border.   Seattle's school radio station also shows up in Arbitron ratings regularly for the region.  Back here, Rav 90.7fm might 're-open' late 2023 according to Wikipedia.

I wonder if it's possible for more high school stations to pop up in Canada here. 
Links:
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb039
+
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFU758

https://rav907fm.wordpress.com/
Also

Last edited by dmcjeff (September 24, 2023 4:18 pm)

[img]https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuF8Sd9OzvCbg5oAXaSlHwJVUvLp-w?e=arHBuk[/img]