sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2021 8:20 pm  #1

1220 CFAJ St. Catharines Now Streaming As Official Launch Seems Near

It's been "testing" since Feb. 2020, but it appears more than a year later, 1220 CFAJ may finally be close to actually launching. The top of the hour I.D. and every quarter hour indicates that it's still a "test broadcast," but there are telltale signs that could be over soon. 

For one thing, they're now ID'ing themselves as "Classic 1220," which appears to be the branding. 

For another, its website is up, and while it advertises "Coming Soon" on the page, it also says "Classic 1220 is your new radio station serving the St. Catharines / Niagara area." But tellingly, it also offers streaming of its signal for the first time, and a list of previously played songs. (Some of which were wrong, when I was visiting, but hey, I'm sure they're working out the bugs.)

Still no spots past some PSAs, but they weren't running a lot of those during the earlier testing phase. The only "announcer" (and possibly the only employee!) at the station seems to be Peter Borbely, who does the interstitials between songs and is listed as the station's announcer and music director. 

The pic below went up on its Facebook page May 21st, so it hasn't been that long since the transition started. 

Whatever is happening on the frequency, it seems it's not on officially quite yet - but it's not far from finally launching. The only question now is when - and how many they might be hiring to fill all those hours. 

Oh, and whether anyone will bother to actually tune in. 

Classic1220.ca

May 25, 2021 10:04 pm  #2

Re: 1220 CFAJ St. Catharines Now Streaming As Official Launch Seems Near

I'm eagerly awaiting to find out what their actual business model is.

May 26, 2021 6:31 am  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

I'm eagerly awaiting to find out what their actual business model is.

& where all the money came from to pay for all that "testing".

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2021 12:00 pm  #4

I am out of their signal range; can anyone comment if they are now operating at their full 10KW RF power?

May 26, 2021 12:01 pm  #5

Yes it will be interesting to see what the stations final format will be.  I am assuming what they are playing now is a preview of what will be played, but will they have specific shows for different music eras?  Or is it going to be mixed together like what they are doing now? The station's music certainly has a bit of AM740 sound in the mix with older and less known R&B.  Don't know if there is a market anywhere for this, but I wish the owners well and success.  To launch a new AM station from scratch anywhere in 2021 takes guts. And to launch an AM station that is music oriented doubles the challenge. Good luck Classic 1220!

May 26, 2021 6:31 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

Yes it will be interesting to see what the stations final format will be.  I am assuming what they are playing now is a preview of what will be played, but will they have specific shows for different music eras?  Or is it going to be mixed together like what they are doing now?

They're going to have trouble if this "test" is literally their format.
What about the 35% Can Con regulation CRTC has in place?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 26, 2021 6:46 pm  #7

Stations can do and play whatever they want during the test and they do.  They are not officially on the air yet.  This is likely close to the format but we won't know until they actually sign on.  Why are you always so fixated on the 35% cancon all the time Radiowiz?  And why would it be trouble for Classic 1220?   They knew about it when they applied.  They may only need to play 30% depending on their application with the CRTC, but I doubt if they bothered.

August 23, 2021 9:28 am  #8

I honestly thought when I wrote that headline months ago that CFAJ was getting close to a sign-on, based on information the station owner had indicated to me in a phone conversation. But now I'm not so sure it will even officially be on come Labour Day, which is when you might expect a big launch would happen. 

They've been testing forever but I suppose that's a relative term. I came across this story from Montreal about a "new" station there, that's been on the air for four years(!) and is only now getting around to actually putting a staff together. Not sure if that's a record or not, but could 1220 possibly break it?

CFQR 600 AM Radio is getting closer to announcing on air talent